Would these be considered true statements, ALWAYS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondo

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Terrell, TX
Anytime I use cure in a recipe I should make the recipe but not smoke it for 24 hours?

I read that in a post and several people seemed to agree.

ALSO

If I make Jerky I should marinate the jerky 24 hours then smoke it to dry?

If I make snack sticks I should mix all ingredients together, stuff the casings and wait 24 hours before smoking?

When I make anything with cure, I should mix all the ingredients, including water and weigh the total batch then add cure based on TOTAL weight? If the total weighs 6.5lbs I should do the math to adjust the cure amount based on the package recommendation of X per lb of meat? SO X*6.5= amount of cure?

Just want to get the facts. I want to make sure that recipe quantities I find on the web are correct on cure amounts.

Thanks

Maybe this should have been in General Discussion. If anyone can move it, please do. Thanks

MHO Mix and stuff then wait a day,stuffing after mixing makes it easier Waiting gives all the spices a chance to get Happy

Richie

Anytime I use cure in a recipe I should make the recipe but not smoke it for 24 hours?  That's a good idea..  let's the cure do it's thing...    For sausage, beef sticks etc...   Not for curing a roast or pastrami...

I read that in a post and several people seemed to agree.

ALSO

If I make Jerky I should marinate the jerky 24 hours then smoke it to dry?  Good idea ...

If I make snack sticks I should mix all ingredients together, stuff the casings and wait 24 hours before smoking?  Good idea...  better than mixing the meat, waiting 24 hours then trying to stuff

When I make anything with cure, I should mix all the ingredients, including water and weigh the total batch then add cure based on TOTAL weight? If the total weighs 6.5lbs I should do the math to adjust the cure amount based on the package recommendation of X per lb of meat? SO X*6.5= amount of cure? 

Not sure what that calculation is...  1.1 grams of cure per pound of meat and water for an equilibrium cure...

When doing an equilibrium brine cure, that's a very good method..   If mixing ground meat for sausage as an example, do not add in the weight of the water...  the water will evaporate and not be part of the stuff being eaten....  

If you see my 'injecting to cure meat" thread, add the sugar, cure and salt, based on the weight of the meat...   add to chicken/beef/vegetable broth, usually 10% the weight of the meat, dissolve and inject ALL of the cure/brine mix....  all the salt, sugar and cure are in the meat...  the liquid will evaporate...  no need to weigh the liquid... 

Curing meat has several methods, depending on what you are processing.... and the methods can't be mixed... 

Cure starts to break down around 130 deg. F so it can't be heated prior to adding to the meat....   The residual nitrite, according to USDA stuff, is around 20% keeping it safe during refrigeration for a period of time...   like storage in the refer case in the market...

Just want to get the facts. I want to make sure that recipe quantities I find on the web are correct on cure amounts.

Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky