would it be safe ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

actech

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Illinois Land of jailed governors
I just picked up a pork loin to make canadian bacon out of but i just noticed to use/freeze by date is 11/28. If i put it in cure now would that stop it from turning or would i be better to cut it for chops and freeze ?

I'm no expert, but I think you'll be safe.

Chris

Those dates are more for store inventory rotation. Freeze By leaves a margin of error, in case you don't see it, where you have several days wiggle room. Additionally, the cure, salt, etc, inhibits spoilage bacteria so you will be fine...JJ

I often buy meats at deep discount on the use/freeze by date, including ones I'm going to cure. No problem at all to use that meat as long as it smells and looks fresh, like Scott said. I've seen many that I passed on because they did not look so good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky