Work sharp knife sharpener

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition with the standard belts that come with it and I cannot seem to get a razor edge on any knife that can cut through paper with ease. I've watched multiple videos, tried multiple angles, used multiple knives and still cannot get a "razor" edge. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong. I have been practicing on several different types of Chicago Cutlery which I know aren't great knives, but still should be able to get a razor edge even if it doesn't last.

Below is the video that I've been watching.

I bought the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition with the standard belts that come with it and I cannot seem to get a razor edge on any knife that can cut through paper with ease. I've watched multiple videos, tried multiple angles, used multiple knives and still cannot get a "razor" edge. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong. I have been practicing on several different types of Chicago Cutlery which I know aren't great knives, but still should be able to get a razor edge even if it doesn't last.

Below is the video that I've been watching.

Remember you have to form a "wire" on the edge of the blade on each side before going to a finer grit belt. If you're not getting the "wire" the edge will never get sharp

Just my 2 cents...Watch a Pro Butcher cut meat. They are dressing a Boning Knife on their steel every 5-6 cuts. With a Chef's Knife, the more acidic or harg a veg, onions and carrots, the more frequently you go to the steel. The number of times a knife hits the board slicing, dicing and chopping, the more frequent the touch up. I make a couple passes through my Chef's Choice 130 at the start of every meal I am preparing...JJ
Can you also sharpen pocket knives with it?

I bought the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition with the standard belts that come with it and I cannot seem to get a razor edge on any knife that can cut through paper with ease. I've watched multiple videos, tried multiple angles, used multiple knives and still cannot get a "razor" edge. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong. I have been practicing on several different types of Chicago Cutlery which I know aren't great knives,

I have Chicago Cutlery knives also (given to us as a wedding gift). I can get them razor sharp but as Rexster says you have to get the burr evenly down the blade before moving to the next belt.
I finish with 10-12 passes with the X4 belt as the last step.

Maybe my problem was I was only getting a burr on the coarse belt. I count the passes on the coarse belt until I get a burr, then do the same number of strokes for the other side. I then switch belts and do 10-12 alternating passes on each belt thereafter. I've been doing this at 20° and it's sharp, but not cut through paper sharp.

I'll try waiting for the burr on each belt and see if that helps.

Has anyone tried the stropping belt kit? if so, is it necessary?

Can you also sharpen pocket knives with it?

A Steel keeps a Sharp Knife working sharp. A common hardened metal Steel will only dress the edge keeping the knife sharp, it will not sharpen a dull knife. So if your Pocket Knife is razor sharp to begin with, a couple of passes will help maintain the sharpness.
In contrast there are Diamond impregnated Steels that both Hone the edge of a sharp knife, apply light pressure. And can Sharpen a dull knife when you apply slightly more pressure. I had one similar to below. Notice the Flat rather than Round profile of a common steel...JJ

Reactions: Hawging It
This is one of the best synopses of sharpening theory and practice I've ever come across. And I'm a woodworker.

I'll add something that I do - it's a quick way to get an edge back, I do it about once a week on my edge tools (less often on my kitchen knives)

I use automotive wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of glass or marble. A spray bottle to keep the surface wet, and the water also helps to hold the paper flat on the glass without even best knife sharpener. A few swipes on the bevel and the back, a couple runs along a strop, and I've got a rejuvenated edge. This works well with Kitchen tools too, but it takes a little practice to hold the edge at the proper angle of the bevel on each side of the blade.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky