Woot! Woot! New Minion Bars

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Xendau

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 23, 2018
Long Beach, CA
So my OKJ RF (factory) came with a basket for wood/charcoal (dimensions 13 x 13.5 x 9). After seeing Lava Lock minion bars I was out to buy a pair. But upon reading specs I realized they were much to small for my basket.

So I spoke to the guys in the sheet metal shop where I work. I gave them some drawings, with a stretch out. They put in work... and gave me exactly what I asked for.

Best thing... the owner of the company I work for gifted the material (3/16 cold rolled steel) and fabrication time as an early birthday present. (and I am sure for some Que too lol)

Dimensions on these are: 9"L x 8"H x 4.5" (spread across back) the gap between the bar is 1"

Based on my layout, this should provide me with just over 3" of charcoal 8" deep in a snaking (maze) setup.

Im looking forward to trying them out this weekend.

Attachments

• Custom Minion 1.jpg
    Custom Minion 1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Custom Minion 2.jpg
    Custom Minion 2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
Looks nice. Sure was nice of the boss. Silly question but is there enough air flow to burn? Does the charcoal go in the gap or around the horseshow shape on the outside? ***EDIT*** I googled Lava rock minion bars and now understand how it works. I like yours. seems it will retain heat too

R Rusty Long - I have not. Shoot, I havent even used these yet. BUT, I have the convenience of having a nice ATC that would/should keep it from getting too hot. Over the next few weeks I will be playing with different set ups and I will report back.

SonnyE SonnyE - LOL (just for you....)
kevin-the-minion.jpg

Tried the minion bars this weekend... I dunno. My smoker never really got to temp for a while (much longer than usual), and it didnt hold temp consistently.

At one point I was so fed up I just donned some welding gloves, pulled out the basket, and the bars, dumped the ash and coals, and started a new fire. Really kind of bummed. Im going to try them again, just not on a day I have so much food to cook for others.

Hind sight being 20/20, I placed the hot side (hot coals) closest to the door, not closest to the pit. I also did not let the pit come to temp BEFORE starting my Fireboard ATC. So, I will try again next weekend, and see if it improves my experience.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky