Wood Rack (Offset Smoker)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zimman

Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I have a 20”x40” offset LyfeTyme smoker that’s 1/4” steel. It’s been a fantastic cooker over the years. Recently I needed to move it and accidentally dropped the weight of the smoker on to the wood rack underneath the cooker during the offload.

Naturally 500lbs of steel bent the angle iron and the expanded steel. No issues with the legs of the cooker.

Shall I try to hammer it back straight or just cut it off and go without?

Thanks for any advice shared!

I'm only guessing without a picture but it sounds like you have a shelf down low under the cook chambed connected to all 4 legs and that shelf is now bent? I wouldn't cut it out....it's adding stability to the four legs. But no harm in straightening it

Don’t cut it off. Fix it. I believe the square bottom Support helps Maintain structural integrity of the legs when moving etc

image.jpg

Here is the smoker. I did end up cutting it off as it was 1” angle iron and after multiple attempts with a 6lb hammer, I was getting no where. I was worried about the support but after cutting it off and moving it a bit, appears just as solid as before.

All's well that ends well. I agree it looks stable and ready for many good cooks. Let us know about your next meal with it.

In general, e.g. for straightening car bumpers, etc, the hammer isn't the preferred tool. :-) God also gave us the ramp, which when wrapped upon itself gives you a screw thread, which can be very useful in deliberately, and in a controlled manner, pulling bent things back straight again.

This was probably also a good job for a ratcheted come-along, which should be in everyone's garage. Or trunk.

If there's any bare metal showing from where the shelf attached, shoot it with some spray paint. Looks like ~satin or ~flat black to me.
If there's any sharp weld remnants left behind, file them smooth first thing. Sharp things rust easier than smooth things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky