Wood for smoking in South Louisiana

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by smokinthebayou, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Any suggestions? Looking for fuel for my new Lang 60 coming in 2 weeks!

2. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Where are you?  Do you want to do the work yourself or do you want to write a check.  

3. grillmonkey

grillmonkey Smoking Fanatic

You are surrounded by red oak, white oak and pecan. What else do you need?[​IMG]

4. I don't mind splitting wood myself or buying ready to use. The wood just needs to be ready to burn. I know there are tons of wood around my area I'm just looking for a good supplier. What's the difference in the flavor of red and white oak? I need apple as well but will most likely just get apple chunks from academy.

5. I'm located in Raceland La.

6. grillmonkey

grillmonkey Smoking Fanatic

Look on Craigslist, just search firewood and see what pops up. I know there are lots of sellers around here, probably will be there, too. My palette is not refined enough to discern a lot of difference in red and white oak. If I know which wood is being used, I'd probably say I like the slightly more tart flavor of white oak. In a blind taste test, I probably wouldn't notice a difference.

7. kapdon

kapdon Smoke Blower

I agree with Grillmonkey. Some will claim red oak is great with beef, and white oak with other meats, however, I have used both white and red oak on a regular basis and hardly notice much difference.