wood-fired pizza oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Home pizza oven owners - I'm toying with either a Fyra or a a Karu. The first runs on pellets whereas after is 50 quid dearer and seems to run logs charcoal or gas with an additional purchase of an adaptor. Any views on pros and cons? Anyone got one of these?
I have the Koda 16"gaser. And the Fyra pellet. I love the Koda. The Fyra. In my opinion. Is more of a gimmick. It does a good job. But it barely puts a smoke flavor to the pizza. I got the gas attachment for it. So I have both options.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have the Koda 16"gaser. And the Fyra pellet. I love the Koda. The Fyra. In my opinion. Is more of a gimmick. It does a good job. But it barely puts a smoke flavor to the pizza. I got the gas attachment for it. So I have both options.
Just to add to Steve H Steve H points. I have the Fyra and I find it very difficult to modulate the temperature.

The Fyra will heat to upwards of 900 degrees F and works well with Neopolitan-style pies that are mostly crust with no toppings that need to be cooked. I like to make "Chicago-thin" pizzas where sausage is cooked on the pie. A 900 degree oven will cook the crust before the sausage cooks -- you need a cooler oven temperature to make sure the sausage is cooked when the crust is cooked. Steve H Steve H has advised me to get a gas conversion kit and I may yet do that.

In the in the meantime, I cook my Chicago-thin pies in the house oven set to 500 degrees with one stone near the top of the oven to cook the toppings and the other stone near the bottom to cook the crust, moving the pie from one stone to the other as it cooks.

I went for the Fyra because I couldn't get a gasser that ran on natural gas. I have a natural gas fitting on my patio which I hook up to my Weber grill and I didn't want to clutter up my patio any further with a propane tank for a pizza oven. I also liked the idea of a smokey flavor but, as Steve H Steve H notes, you really don't get any smokey flavor on the pie from the Fyra -- it doesn't spend enough time in the oven for that.

If you get the Fyra and figure out how to modulate the temperature, please post back. Good luck!

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky