Wood Dust?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tybo

Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Im not having any luck with the search function here or Google or Safari so I wanted to ask where do you all purchase wood dust for the AMNPS tray? I've found threads that mention using a table saw or other shop equipment but is that the only way?

We all used to buy dust from Todd at Amazen Products, but now we just take pellets & soak them & dry them & you have dust. For me personally the pellets still work for cold smoking in my rig. But when I cut up splits into discs, I get a lot of dust that I save.
Al

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
We all used to buy dust from Todd at Amazen Products, but now we just take pellets & soak them & dry them & you have dust. For me personally the pellets still work for cold smoking in my rig. But when I cut up splits into discs, I get a lot of dust that I save.
Al
So I assume soaking them makes them fall apart?
Also, what are "splits and discs". Sorry. Im new to this and don't understand some of the terminology on this site. I also see a lot of abbreviations on this forum that I have no clue what they stand for. I cant be the only one. I realize that when you've been on here for awhile it becomes second nature to abbreviate and understand that but for newbies it's difficult.

Pellets turn back to dust when you get them wet, but be sure to get the dust completely dry or else you will get mold.

Also, what are "splits and discs". Sorry. Im new to this and don't understand some of the terminology on this site. I also see a lot of abbreviations on this forum that I have no clue what they stand for. I cant be the only one. I realize that when you've been on here for awhile it becomes second nature to abbreviate and understand that but for newbies it's difficult.
I think this will help you.
Splits are wood logs that have been split into smaller pieces. Discs are thin discs that have been cut from a split. This may help you understand better.

Al

This may help you out.

Reactions: Tybo
A 20# bag of quality pellets and a blender and you can make all the dust you want. To this day I do not understand why people soak and then dry pellets to make dust when it can be done with dry pellets and a blender in seconds.

Reactions: Tybo and chopsaw
Hi there and welcome!
When wet they expand and puff up and begin to fall apart.

When dried again they really start to fall apart at the touch so u can just press with your hand and boom large grain dust.

It's a simple passive approach that uses ready available pellets AND if you have an electric smoker you can even just spread the wet mushy "dust" on a grill matt or parchment paper and dry in the electric smoker on a lower temp.

I hope this helps explain it :)

I hit 100% wood pellets with enough water to make them disintegrate, then take my hands and make sure they're all broken up into what will be dust when they're dried back out.

This was once cherry and pecan pellets (50/50 blend).

1669764420954.png

I think this will help you.
Splits are wood logs that have been split into smaller pieces. Discs are thin discs that have been cut from a split. This may help you understand better.

Al
Thats funny. I've been cutting and chopping firewood most of my life and never heard of splits and discs. I get the "splits" but what do you do with the discs?

A 20# bag of quality pellets and a blender and you can make all the dust you want. To this day I do not understand why people soak and then dry pellets to make dust when it can be done with dry pellets and a blender in seconds.
I tried that once with my cheap blender. Did not work and I really don't want to use my good blender for this.

my two cents on the pellets, it doesn't take a lot of water to break them down. I mist and use as little as possiable to speed drying time. also you can dry them in microwave but attend it the entire time and I stir them frequently. and a hand full of pellets make a lot of dust so don't go crazy on qty.

Personally would pass on the blender option as I think it would be very hard on the blades. I soak down about 2/3 coffee can full of pellets, let sit for 20 mins, put on sheet pan, and couple hrs @ 200° in MES (or oven) until dry

I've been grinding pellets in a $20 blender for years with zero issues.

Like I said I just don't get the soaking then drying then microwaving and stirring and keeping an eye on them so you don't scorch them in the microwave method.

A cup or two of pellets in the blender and 20 seconds later you have perfectly dry ready to use dust.

Reactions: gmc2003 and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky