Winter time griddle in garage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Anyone use their griddle in the garage? Now that winter is here I have moved it inside and have thought about cooking in my garage. Anyone seem any health hazards there? I’d imagine it’s no different that a gas stove?

I don't see a problem with it so long as you have some ventilation and don't leave it unattended. I run a pellet grill inside my pole barn with the doors cracked to let the smoke out. I run it near the door so if something goes wrong, I can throw the door all the way open and shove it out the door.

Garage? We roll ours into the house.
Now before the Karens spout off about oxygen depletion, how many have gas cook tops? How many have gas furnaces and water heaters in the garage or basement?
A87ED386-F61D-4E75-AD37-7A280F61B59F.jpeg

Now before the Karens spout off about oxygen depletion, how many have gas cook tops? How many have gas furnaces and water heaters in the garage or basement?
View attachment 518097

Case it should work with proper air flow/exchange if careful. The gas furnace and the gas hot water heater both probably have vents through the roof.

Just put ours in the garage yesterday... just brought it home yesterday. Wife won it at her work Christmas party!

View attachment 518104

Seasoned it last night and then fried bacon on it. Damn it smells good out there!

Ryan

Awesome I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of her prize :emoji_laughing: but she will benefit by all the good stuff you prepare on it for her

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Case it should work with proper air flow/exchange if careful. The gas furnace and the gas hot water heater both probably have vents through the roof.
Ed you are correct about the exhaust venting. However the. N is toon air is drawn from the space, at least for most units.
Aa for gas stove tops and ovens there is no direct vent.
With all that said we always have the hood fan on when using the BS indoors.
Very rarely do it this way as it stinks things up depending on what you’re cooking. Even in the garage after a good batch of stir fry the garage will smell for a few days. (That’s with the garage door open).

View attachment 518097
I was looking at the tabletop unit specifically for the garage and when the Mrs. found out it used propane she flipped out.
She thought/thinks that burning gas inside is dangerous. When I mentioned that it wasn't any different than using a gas range in the house I got "The Look".
No Blackstone for Dan.....

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
MdZHPST.jpg

I have used my pressure canner in my garage for 40+ years, first with a single burner propane outfit and then I moved to a Camp Chef stove for more height and a second burner. I also fry fish in my Dutch oven but if it's nice weather I do this on my patio.

I use my Blackstone in the garage all the time. I have the side door open and a fan to circulate the air around. I haven't had any issues, even with a cigar lit at the same time.

Never did any threads or anything but love my Waring electric griddle as my garage is detached and want to be able to cook breakfast in my jammies LOL. In terms of safety of operating propane fired gear in the garage, I brew and use a high BTU propane burner for hours in the garage. Door cracked and all is fine.

Just remember propane has twice the BTU value than natural gas and doesn't burn as clean as NG generally speaking. With that said though, I grew up in the sticks and we used propane for cooking all of the time. Not sure of the efficiency differences between a griddle and a range though.

Probably the biggest fume concern would be excessive moisture, carbon dioxide and possibly carbon monoxide. Of all, obviously the CO potential would be the most to be concerned with. Get a CO detector for the garage, if you already don't have one ,which if you have any fuel burning appliance you should already, and you should be fine.

Between the roof vents and garage doors. I know my garage isn't airtight. So I wouldn't worry about running one inside the garage.

Chris

Reactions: zwiller
Yep, use it quite often in the garage. Beats putting coat and shoes on every time you go out to Check on things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky