Wings on my new Cast Iron Grates

Discussion in 'Grilling Chicken' started by heavymoose, Jun 19, 2016.

1. heavymoose

heavymoose Fire Starter

I just replaced the grates in my Weber with new cast iron grates.  I did not realize how heavy they would be, but they are nice.  The trick will be keeping them maintained, it seems like is is going to be a lot of work.  

I am getting ready to throw some chicken wings on the Weber to try the grates out for the first time.  I will let you know how they work.  

For the Wings I found the below rub in the cabinet so I decided to give it a try.

2. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

Looks cool so far! Let us know how it turns out!

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's a nice grate!

4. heavymoose

heavymoose Fire Starter

I got the grill going, then oiled the grates with a lot of peanut oil.  I now have the wings on with the lid cracked and will let them go for 30 minutes.  I also threw a couple mesquite chips on the coal bed.  It is pretty hot here today and the dog decided to take a nap and cool off; she normally stays outside when I am grilling.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. heavymoose

heavymoose Fire Starter

Here they are after 30 minutes.  I flipped them and will let them go for another 20 - 30 minutes.  The grates are working great so far!

6. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking wings

7. heavymoose

heavymoose Fire Starter

Here is the rest of the process.  

I used Frank's wing sauce which is always good and easy.  We also thru a couple beef patties on the grill after the wings were done, which turned out great.  We formed them long since all we had was hot dog buns.  I really think the cast iron grates help; they just hold so much heat and cook the meat evenly.  

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    bauchjw likes this.
  8. dukeburger

dukeburger Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Grate wings and nice greats!

er...

9. unlgrad2002

unlgrad2002 Fire Starter

Perfect "dad joke" for today. I was thinking the same thing as I read this.

Also never knew you could get cast iron grates for a Weber. That's awesome.

10. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

Came out looking perfect! Another accessory I need to look into! Points!

11. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The wings look fantastic!

I have those grates too. They will last a lifetime!

Al