Wing Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Cooking for a family members birthday party over the weekend and part of that menu consists of about 10 pounds of wings. I want to get some good smoke on them but also want them to have nice crispy skin. I have smoked, fried, grilled, baked, etc... wings in all sorts of ways. I have seen the baking powder trick. Dried in the fridge. Smoked at high temps. Soaked in buttermilk or other marinades. Don't really have the time to play around with different things. I have a smoke vault which will get up to 350ish. A kettle but no vortex. A large propane fryer. Various other grills and smokers.

So my question is if you were doing wings what would be your suggestion to get the best smoke and the best crispy bite through skin?

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
My suggestion would be to get 20 pounds of Drums or Thighs for the same price as 10 pounds of wings, and have Meat & skin, instead of Bones & skin.
But that's just me.
As for the temp, I never had trouble with the skin when I did the last hour in my MES at 265° or above.
All I got on wings, as I haven't bought wings in years.

Bear

i know this is an old post but for chicken wings that are spicy but at the same time not to hot , the makers of " Franks Hot Sauce " also makes a dry powder version of it , i deep fry the wings until they are nice and crispy , let them drain , then coat them with the powder version of Franks toss them to get an even coat then drizzle the liquid Franks over them then toss them a 2nd time then serve . it makes some of the best " hot " wings i have ever made without being to hot for my wife to enjoy

Reactions: Nodak21
Sounds like you have all the tools and practice to make a tasty meal. However you do them I'm sure they'll be tasty. An hour or so of smoke and then some high heat from smoke vault, kettle, or oven and you should be great.

Smoke at 225 till they are IT 160 ish then under the oven broiler or on the screaming hot gasser to crisp the skin.

Examples slow and sear:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/nothing-but-wings.284059/
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/big-bad-bbq-rub-smoked-chicken.282667/#post-1910522

Example hot and sear:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/down-home-drums-wings.288455/

I prefer the low and sear, but both are good!

I you want to vortex sear, go to the HD store and get 4 yard bricks and just arrange them as a box in the center of your kettle, fill and let it roll.....

I start them around 220 for 45-60 minutes then crank heat to 400 or 350 for your smoker until done to get crispy skin
thats pretty much what I do too.

As for flavoring - Franks always wins here. But with 10lbs you could make half with Franks and then use other rubs you have for the other half. That can help with those who dont like hot - whoever they are bahah

Sounds like you kinda answered your own question. I would do the overnight dry brine with baking powder. Can you spread out 10 lbs in fridge to dry though? Then grill indirect at 350+ F for 45-50 minutes with hickory, plenty of time to get smokey flavor. Maybe finish off directly over heat (but don't overdo it). Let wings cool before covering or they will steam and get soft. You really need 350-400 F to get good skin.

What do you guys think about smoking the day before and then throwing them in the fryer or even the air fryer to re-heat them? Would that help the skin?

Yes that would work. Personally if I've got the time I will smoke at low temp a couple hours then drop them into some 350 degree grease for the finish

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. Found my new favorite way to do smoked wings. Nice mild smoke and perfect crispy skin.
Adam1.jpg

Everyone at the party was happy.
Adam2.jpg

Looks like they came out perfect.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice! A lot of times I have problems gith dirty smoke using chunks on the kettle. I like putting it on the grates instead of in the charcoal. I’ll have to try that. Looks awesome!

Cooking for a family members birthday party over the weekend and part of that menu consists of about 10 pounds of wings. I want to get some good smoke on them but also want them to have nice crispy skin. I have smoked, fried, grilled, baked, etc... wings in all sorts of ways. I have seen the baking powder trick. Dried in the fridge. Smoked at high temps. Soaked in buttermilk or other marinades. Don't really have the time to play around with different things. I have a smoke vault which will get up to 350ish. A kettle but no vortex. A large propane fryer. Various other grills and smokers.

So my question is if you were doing wings what would be your suggestion to get the best smoke and the best crispy bite through skin?

Thanks!
I'm probably too late for your weekend things, but after years of searching for the crispiest wings, I finally discovered Teba Shio ( Salted Chicken Wings).

The original recipe calls for soaking the wings in Sake and cooking them under the broiler. I've since made them many times in under the broiler and in the air fryer and on the grill. Crispiest wings ever!!

Sake is cheap and leaves no real taste inside the wings. Just salt and pepper for the seasoning. Start them skin side down under the broiler and halfway through flip them skin side up so the presentation side is what you see when you pull them. On the grill, they will get turned a few times. In the air fryer, skin side down, then flip for the finish.

I've posted this a few times before and have a couple of links in my signature if interested.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky