Big Bad BBQ Rub Smoked Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Kicking off the Christmas break off with some smoked wings, drums, and thighs.

Seasoned them up with some Big Bald BBQ Rub :)
IMG_3201.JPG

Smoked them with a 50/50 mix of apple & cherry
IMG_3203.JPG

Once they hit 165 they went under the broiler to crisp up the skin.
IMG_3204.JPG

The party is about to start
IMG_3207.JPG

Matched with home made bacon mac & cheese and fresh veggies and party on
IMG_3208.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm really enjoying the pit but hate it at the same time cause it causes me to eat way too much....lol

Reactions: HappyGrillmore
Now that there is some good looking party vittles. Nicely done

point for sure.
Chris

This is the first time I've loaded the HCC racks totally full so I was really wondering how it would do, I'm no longer wondering.

Since everyone should have the big bad BBQ rub recipe.

The mac & cheese is:

1/4 butter & flour
2 cup milk & 1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup smoked guda
3/4 cup med cheddar
1/3 cup parm
1 tsp old bay
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste.

Add butter & flour to a sauté pan cook till bubbly & it starts to get a hint of color. Then wisk in the milk & cream and cook at med-low heat till it's nice and creamy. Turn to low, add seasonings & the grated cheese. Once the cheese is melted set aside. You don't want to over cook it i.e. Don't boil it!

While making the sauce cook 16oz of your favorite pasta, remember to salt the pasta water. Cook pasta about 8 min it should firm with a slight bite to it. Drain and put in a mixing bowl.

Mix the cheese sauce with the pasta. If you want you can add goodies at this point. I.e. Crab meat, chicken, sausage....

Once mixed put in individual sized (or family) dish. And add some more grated cheese (a blended mix of the three above) to your preference. You can add seasoned panko if you want too then in the oven at 350 for 10 to 15 min. Take out when it's bubbly and cheese is melted.

This is when we add chopped bacon & green onion since we don't add the goodies inside.

Serve on a plate cause the dish will be hot!

This is a perfect side for smoked wings, ribs, pulled pork.....

Sorry Kraft!

Last edited:
Reactions: ksblazer
Well round 2 tonight! Holy smokes just candy!

All rubbed down!
IMG_3236.JPG

Getting cozy...
IMG_3237.JPG

Warm and fuzzy!
IMG_3238.JPG

Nothing but TBS :-)
IMG_3239.JPG

And finally meat candy!!
IMG_3240.JPG

Just love the new pit!

I ran the temp a little hotter tonight and I was very happy. It was more like BBQ temp so the skin was near crispy coming out and only needed a few minutes under the broiler to finish it.

Last edited:
Many thanks, I've become quite a fan of the Big Bald BBQ rub. The high sugar content really helps crips up with a little higher heat

Last edited:
Awesome looking smoker going with some awesome looking chicken. Love the plating and the sides. Everything looks good. Likes for sure.

Plating is a big deal in our house, cause if it looks good it seems to taste even better! Although it is also a habit from my long ago restaurant days....

The smoker is showing signs it will earn its keep. The building process seemed to take for ever so it still has some pay back. Up later this week beef ribs and prime rib.

That is some awesome looking Q!!!! As sick as I am that just made me hungry!!! Definite LIKE. And A beauty smoker as well. Congrats on the carousel ride.

Glad the Qpics could make you feel better. My wife doesn't eat much meat but she loves these wings. In fact, that's how I know I've cooked them right when she goes back for seconds.

I've had 3 neighbors come over and want to buy my smoker from me since I finished it and started cooking on it. However, I'm not really wanting to let go of it just yet....I do have 2 more tanks for builds that I may start working on this coming year, just to be neighborly though :-)

Let's see wings, drumbs, & ribs make a balance meal or the "food plate" as they call it today!

Reactions: bdskelly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky