Will this PID work on "any" electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
So after discussing whether or not to go ahead and get a MES AND a previous discuaaion about using a hotplate in a Big Chief, I decided to see if there was a plug-n-play PID controller that didn't cost an arm and a leg and found one at Auber's website on sale for $129 until midnight tonight...

plug-n-play PID (forgive me if this violates the link rule)

I know it says for Bradley smokers, but it also says for "other" electric smokers. So I'm wondering if this will work on a hotplate mod in the Big Chief?

I've looked and looked at wiring diagrams for various setups, but I can't for the life of me make heads/tails out of them (don't want to set anything on fire, KWIM?), so plug-n-play it'll have to be.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The PID controls whatever is plugged into it, so as long as there is power going to whatever the heat source is, it will maintain set temps.

Check the wattage of the MES, then check wattage the PID supports. You don't really want to use more than 3/4 of the wattage the PID supports (some will say use only 2/3). So for an 800 watt MES element you would want at PID that supports at least 1000 watts.

Also if you use an extension cord, use at least a 14 gauge, I prefer to use 12 gauge so voltage drop over distance won't be to great.

Reactions: chopsaw
I use this one for my snoopy smoker.
Can handle my 1200w element with ease.

Model: WS-1510DPMS

The Bradley PID may work but it was designed for the Bradley that has a side puck burner.

I know it says for Bradley smokers, but it also says for "other" electric smokers. So I'm wondering if this will work on a hotplate mod in the Big Chief?
Like said in post 3 you need to know the wattage . In this case if you're using a hot plate you would need to check the wattage of the hot plate .

I believe the wattage of the 1211H is 1200 .
Just keep in mind that if you at some point upgrade to another electric smoker , it may or may not be big enough .

It would be to small to run an MES 40 . It will run a MES 30 at 800 watts .
just might be something to consider .
I use the 1510ELPM . 1500 watts for $149 .

I installed a 1200 watt hotplate in my BigChief many years ago. Then connected an Auber PID controller to it. Never looked back.

So looking at a different model, 1510ELPM (in case I wanted to upgrade later), ALL I'D HAVE TO DO is plug the PID up, plug the smoker power cord into the PID, turn the PID on, set the time/temp, and we're off to the races right?

I wouldn't have to do ANY re-wiring in the smoker, right?

Just need to make sure...I was reading on the site where you have to go into the bottom panel on a MB smoker and re-wire in order to bypass the smoker's controls (or some such) and am hoping that's referring to the units that are NOT plug-n-play.

If you're running a hot plate, or have an element that plugs in directly, the controller will turn it on and off to maintain the temp you set. The temp probe on the PID will read the temps inside the smoker and keep it where you set it to.

So looking at a different model, 1510ELPM (in case I wanted to upgrade later), ALL I'D HAVE TO DO is plug the PID up, plug the smoker power cord into the PID, turn the PID on, set the time/temp, and we're off to the races right?
If the controlled source is analog , then you would turn the dial all the way up to high or max . Whatever it says . Then the Auber will control it up to its max setting .

Reactions: Steve H
I have the 1211H and its max wattage is 1440.For my MES 30 this has worked flawlessly so far (I've only done 3 smokes with it).Technically its not plug&play with the MES but the rewire is truly simple particularly in my case as it was nothing more than switching two wire harnesses and done.

There's a two sticky threads on PIDs in the electric smoker forum.

Yes to the above. If the hot plate has a dial, such as I have on my Big Chief, crank it all the way too the hottest position. Plug it into the back of the PID and set your temps. Where's that pic ?????

Last edited:
Reactions: SherryT
Here’s a pic of my Big Chief with a Proctor Silex element....
5A031B09-65CA-426D-8623-CFCEE0D6928A.jpeg

And connected to an Auber PID. Note the Auber temp probe going thru the side of the smoker. BTW, I think the Auber in this pic is the WS-1211H
18AC698B-1A0A-4424-AE66-BD4EE7AE2A15.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of my Big Chief with a Proctor Silex element....View attachment 653080

And connected to an Auber PID. Note the Auber temp probe going thru the side of the smoker. BTW, I think the Auber in this pic is the WS-1211H
View attachment 653082

What about "carryover" heat after the controller shuts it off?

I did a test a month-or-so ago using the Inkbird ITC-306T...it shut on/off according to the programming (100F, 1def differential), but the cabinet temp kept on rising about 10 - 12deg before it started falling back to 100F.

Am I correct to assume this is one of those "it is what it is" issues (residual heat from the element)?

You may need to do an auto tune on your PID. If you do, put a brick or some sand in a pan to act as a heat sink. An empty smoker will not tune correctly because it heats up and cools to quickly. The idea is that the PID needs to "learn" with the smoker operating as you would use it with meat in it.

What about "carryover" heat after the controller shuts it off?

I did a test a month-or-so ago using the Inkbird ITC-306T...it shut on/off according to the programming (100F, 1def differential), but the cabinet temp kept on rising about 10 - 12deg before it started falling back to 100F.

Am I correct to assume this is one of those "it is what it is" issues (residual heat from the element)?
I have the auber 1510, use it with analog mes 30...it would keep temps within 2 degrees of set point.

Ryan

I have the auber 1510, use it with analog mes 30...it would keep temps within 2 degrees of set point.

Ryan
Within 2 degrees at "all" times?

Like I said, the only experience I have with any kind of external temp controller is with the Inkbird I mentioned...I set to come on at 100F, 1deg variance, and it does work, but when it shuts off, the CABINET temp keeps going up according to both the Inkbird probe AND my ThermPro therm. I've been testing it today in the Big Chief + a hotplate using those settings and after the controller cuts the hotplate off at 100F, the cabinet temp gets as much as 35 degrees hotter before it begins cooling back down.

I know with the 1510, there is an "autotune" feature and I'm wondering if that's why everyone is saying they're able to MAINTAIN temps within just a few degrees...35 degrees isn't a few...it's a lot!

Sorry to be such a pest, but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this.

Yes, it will hold within 2 degrees...granted this was when I first set it up, in my heated garage, in the winter. So no wind or cold was a factor.
I never did use auto tune.
I think a big issue would be trying to use it on empty smoker. With the auber, the settings can be set to not have thar carry over.

If you look at post #16 chopsaw chopsaw Explains it very well, probably the easiest and most understandable way I've seen it put.

Ryan

If you look at post #16 chopsaw chopsaw Explains it very well, probably the easiest and most understandable way I've seen it put.

Ryan

Which thread, Ryan? My last post before this one is #16 in this thread. When I click on Chopsaw, it doesn't take me to any thread, only his info page.

Which thread, Ryan? My last post before this one is #16 in this thread. When I click on Chopsaw, it doesn't take me to any thread, only his info page.
Go back and look at my response, I linked a thread in it. Screwed it up the 1st time but edited it, so it's there now. Post 16 in that linked thread

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky