Wild Turkey Leg and Thigh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I smoke them, then put them in a pot and cover with water, add onions, celery, carrots, thyme, BP corns, and a little red wine. Boil that for about 6~8 hours....then the meat will be tender. I pull off the bone and chop into 1/2" chunks. I strain the broth and concentrate into stock. This makes superb pot pies!

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
I have hunted the smartest bird on the planet, the South Eastern Gobbler for years. I found out the hard way, trying to cook a "wild" gobbler leg is a total waste of time and energy. My dog loves them though. Only wild turkey breast for us.

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
I have hunted the smartest bird on the planet, the South Eastern Gobbler for years. I found out the hard way, trying to cook a "wild" gobbler leg is a total waste of time and energy. My dog loves them though. Only wild turkey breast for us.
You don't know what you're missing. Dark meat has more flavor. Wild bird leg/thigh is very tough, but there's a lot of meat there. I always keep them. My two, Dad's two, and everybody else I call a bird in for.

Like I said, got to cook them down in a pot for 6~8 hours then pull the meat off the bone. Just watch out for all those little pin bones in the legs. They make great hash, soups and pot pies...

I agree 100%!! Although I will admitt to having never tried cooking them for 8 or 10 or 300hrs! LOL
My dad says it best "they're way more fun to hunt and kill, than they are to clean and eat!"
I once plucked and tried to deep fry the wings and legs, many years ago. Everything came out the most beautiful looking golden brown I could have wanted. The skin however was literally too tough to bite through! I may try to smoke a whole bird next year.

I agree 100%!! Although I will admitt to having never tried cooking them for 8 or 10 or 300hrs! LOL
My dad says it best "they're way more fun to hunt and kill, than they are to clean and eat!"
I once plucked and tried to deep fry the wings and legs, many years ago. Everything came out the most beautiful looking golden brown I could have wanted. The skin however was literally too tough to bite through! I may try to smoke a whole bird next year.

Your Dad was right!!
Or you can smoke the Legs & Thighs, then put them in a pot and cover with water, add onions, celery, carrots, thyme, corn, and a little red wine. Boil that for about 6~8 hours. Then Throw the Turkey out & eat the Veggies.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
You are certainly welcome here . Your first post and sig link to your own web site ? Being from Missouri myself I would like to ask you to lose the link . Hang out , make friends . Learn and share what you know .

Toss the Wild Turkey Legs??? Grandma would be puttin a Switch to your Backside. When Grandpa and my Uncles brought home Turkey, the Breasts for Roasted but all the rest made Turkey and Dumplings ( Sinkers) and/or Soup. There was no such thing as " Toss It " with 7 kids in the Depression Era and 40's...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
I have deleted all references to the site. I couldn't figure out how to change my user name.

But I'm not sure I understand why a 100% non-commercial site with no login, no ads (popup or otherwise), no cookies, nothing for sale and no monetized links, is problematic.

Especially one reasonably related to the topic of the forum and directly related to a popular sub-forum. The only reason I included it was because of the topic I was replying to.

It was not my intention to offend or trigger anyone.

Like I said I'm sort of building a smoker. I'll probably be back looking to talk about that when I get time.

I noticed that too:
So many people get on here to sell something, and don't really join the family.
Then They sell their stuff & never contribute.
I was a little leery about your posts, but then I noticed you don't seem to be selling anything, and you have a bunch of Great looking recipes.
That's why I ended my comment with "Thanks".
We hope we can help you, as your contributions are helping us.

Bear

It's not problematic or a big deal. Links to Personal Websites and Blogs are the Privilege of becoming a Premier Member.

We are now offering SMF Premier Memberships for those who have asked for this! As always, the forum is absolutely FREE and there is no requirement or expectation, but when you "chip in" it is greatly appreciated.

This forum comes at a cost and we try to offset this with ads and some affiliate links. The premier memberships help to defray the remaining amount.

With a premier membership, you are not only supporting this forum but there are PERKS involved too.
  • You get to turn off the Ads
  • You can post a link to your website, facebook, etc. in your signature area
  • You get a badge on your profile letting everyone know that you "chipped in".
  • Notification emails contain the full text
More than anything else, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are supporting the forum that you love.

Once you get to the "account upgrade" area, you'll see the following (4) options:
  1. 1 year membership for $15
  2. 2 year membership for $25
  3. 3 year membership for $40
  4. Lifetime membership for $100
Choose the one that you like and click on the "Purchase" button to go to Paypal where you can use your Paypal account or a credit/debit card (no paypal account or login required) to purchase your account upgrade.

Upgrade Your Membership Now

Once your payment goes through, a badge will appear below your username on every post that says "Premier Member".

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky