Wild Turkey Leg and Thigh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ADAM SMITH

Original poster
Feb 6, 2019
Alright folks, last Sunday I attempted to smoke a wild Turkey thigh and leg combo given to me by my father. Longs story short it turned into Turkey jerky. I still ate it but for the most part it was chewy and tough. I was finding conflicting info on the ole interwebs. I ended up keeping the smoker between 250-275 for around 4 hours, pulled it when internal temps got to around 185 I think. I'm using an offset smoker and was using hickory as my fuel. I had brined it in a brown sugar/salt brine for about 36 hours.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't need fall off the bone tenderness but juicy and edible would be nice Hindsight being 20/20 I feel like maybe I should have smoked it at a higher temp and pulled it when it hit 165? Maybe even boil it until done and finish it on the smoker? Thoughts.

Inserted picture of smoker and resulting jerky

Attachments

• 20190210_093350.jpg
    20190210_093350.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190210_123354.jpg
    20190210_123354.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 80
Unfortunately there just ain't no way to get Thanksgiving Turkey from a wild bird. You figured right, 185 was way too cooked. 155 with a rest is plenty.
One leg doesn't go far but if you get a couple or a whole bird, smoke to the 140's. Place the meat, some veggies, Herbs like Thyme and Sage in a Dutch Oven. Add a couple Cups of Chicken Broth, cover and bake 2 hours at 325 or until the meat is Fork tender. Remove the meat and cool while you thicken the Gravy. Shred the meat and add it to the pot. Serve over Egg Noodles or Rice. Flavorful and Tender Wild Turkey!...JJ

Reactions: ADAM SMITH
Unfortunately there just ain't no way to get Thanksgiving Turkey from a wild bird. You figured right, 185 was way too cooked. 155 with a rest is plenty.
One leg doesn't go far but if you get a couple or a whole bird, smoke to the 140's. Place the meat, some veggies, Herbs like Thyme and Sage in a Dutch Oven. Add a couple Cups of Chicken Broth, cover and bake 2 hours at 325 or until the meat is Fork tender. Remove the meat and cool while you thicken the Gravy. Shred the meat and add it to the pot. Serve over Egg Noodles or Rice. Flavorful and Tender Wild Turkey!...JJ

I'm very familiar with wild Turkey, grew up eating it I just never tried smoking it. I'm gonna keep playing around and see what I can come up with. I'd imagine "safe internal temp" Probably isn't as crucial with a wild bird, lol.

Probably doesn't help that was my first time smoking anything, lol, chicken legs I did at the same time turned out fantastic!

It's not the meat that presents a Safety issue but how it's harvested and butchered.
A home grown chicken raised in healthy conditions, thoroughly cleaned before dispatch and butchered keeping the entire digestive tract intact, can be eaten Raw!
A gut shot Turkey or any wild game or one that was haphazardly cleaned presents a very high risk of causing illness if not properly cooked. Unless you shot and cleaned the bird, treat it like any other poultry...JJ

It's not the meat that presents a Safety issue but how it's harvested and butchered.
A home grown chicken raised in healthy conditions, thoroughly cleaned before dispatch and butchered keeping the entire digestive tract intact, can be eaten Raw!
A gut shot Turkey or any wild game or one that was haphazardly cleaned presents a very high risk of causing illness if not properly cooked. Unless you shot and cleaned the bird, treat it like any other poultry...JJ

I just assumed it was the conditions the animal was in. I.E. an agricultural environment would be a bunch of animals in close proximity to each other so a higher likelihood of salmonella and what not being present.

The best way to get some good meat from those Black Feathered Wild Birds would be to pluck that Wild Bird first.
Then Stick those Black feathers on a Tame Turkey, and start with that one.
Wild Turkey Sucks no matter what or how you do it.
The only thing really edible is the Breast, and that should get Brined real good first, and preferably Sous Vide too.
We don't even bother shooting them any more. Even Squirrel is a lot better than wild Turkey!!

Bear

The best way to get some good meat from those Black Feathered Wild Birds would be to pluck that Wild Bird first.
The only thing really edible is the Breast, and that should get Brined real good first, and preferably Sous Vide too.
We don't even bother shooting them any more. Even Squirrel is a lot better than wild Turkey!!

Bear
Completely disagree. I've had tons of delicious wild Turkey in my day, just new to smoking them, but I'll nail it down. You just send all them you don't want my way, I'll take em. I'd take a wild Turkey over store bought any day, at least I know their story, haha. Squirrel is great too.

I just assumed it was the conditions the animal was in. I.E. an agricultural environment would be a bunch of animals in close proximity to each other so a higher likelihood of salmonella and what not being present.

Exactly! Your Turkey was wild. But....What if that Turkey was feeding in a Cow Pasture just before he was shot. Salmonella and E-coli contamination is a real possibility, both inside and out. Bacteria in a reality in the digestive tract of every animal. Get fecal matter on the meat and all the safety rules apply. Again, unless you raised and slaughtered the animal, washed it thoroughly with soap and water, gutted it with no exposure to fecal matter and washed it again with lots of running water, you must treat the meat as contaminated...JJ

Bear
There's supposed to be laughing emojis in there too lol

Exactly! Your Turkey was wild. But....What if that Turkey was feeding in a Cow Pasture just before he was shot. Salmonella and E-coli contamination is a real possibility, both inside and out. Bacteria in a reality in the digestive tract of every animal. Get fecal matter on the meat and all the safety rules apply. Again, unless you raised and slaughtered the animal, washed it thoroughly with soap and water, gutted it with no exposure to fecal matter and washed it again with lots of running water, you must treat the meat as contaminated...JJ
10-4 I feel ya. Wasn't being combative just didn't look at it that way, lol. Thanks!

Are you confident your smoker didn't run hot when you weren't looking? That leg is awful black for those temps. You might try smoking (thin blue smoke) for a couple of hours then into a pan with a liquid of your choice and foil tightly to finish. Wild turkey legs are a tough hunka meat, but braising them will help keep them more tender.

Barry.

No problem or offense taken. Wild Game birds are typically way safer than commercial poultry as they are not raised in filth or at risk for being contaminated by other birds during processing. In any event, great care has to be taken eviscerating all animals...JJ

I have smoked wild whole turkeys with great success. Looks to me your temperature was to high were you going by the thermometer on the smoker or a remote one?

Warren

I have smoked wild whole turkeys with great success. Looks to me your temperature was to high were you going by the thermometer on the smoker or a remote one?

Warren

No, I had a leave in thermometer I was going by, multiple probes. I left one in to monitor the temp and one in the turkey to check that. I moved the one in the leg a couple of times to make sure it was right. I really think I should have pulled it earlier.

Are you confident your smoker didn't run hot when you weren't looking? That leg is awful black for those temps. You might try smoking (thin blue smoke) for a couple of hours then into a pan with a liquid of your choice and foil tightly to finish. Wild turkey legs are a tough hunka meat, but braising them will help keep them more tender.

Barry.
Yeah I kept an eye on it. It wasn't as black as it looks, that's a white plate, on a pale blue counter in a dark kitchen, hey I never claimed to be a good photographer lmao.

I keep my turkey thighs and legs as well. I cook them for about 12-15 hours on low in a crockpot with chicken broth. Then I make turkey salad, soup, or creamed turkey with them. No way to make them fit to eat without a slow or pressure cooker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky