Wild hog and crawfish sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sketter11205

Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Texas
Well, I process wild hogs all the time for an Org. I run. But one of the things I do is try to keep the hunters that donate happy. Had a cook- off that was coming up too (July ) . So, here I go.. Sausage making time. I needed something good to keep them and sponsors happy. So, I bought 4 bags (1Ibs) of crawfish , ground 25 Ibs. Of hog meat. 2-3 blocks of sharp cheddar cheese. Now, y'all can get on to me but I season to taste. But I used fijita seasoning, garlic power, mustard powder, salt, black pepper, and chennye pepper. Stuffed it in natural casing then smoked in my smoker ( cardboard box) smoked for 10 hrs. Man, it was great

Sounds like it was great skeeter and welcome to SMF.........I see you didnt list cure along with your seasonings..... Did you add some? Next time take some pics of your sausage processes and post them up in the sausage forum... We'd love to see them......

Good luck and
happy smoking

Joe

Last edited:
Yes I did I used the pink salt... Still working on smokehouse .. As soon as I get it done I make something sausage wish.

I was just about to ask about the Cure. It is also very important to get all the sausage to an IT above 140°F, Wild Hogs are frequently carriers of Trichinella Spiralis, the nasty little worm that causes Trichinosis...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky