Why Write Stuff Down

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danno44

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
Well I made a very rookie mistake. My last smoke I make spare ribs and pork loin.
Everything turned out great, family really enjoyed it.
I also decided to try my hand at making my own rub.
On one pork loin I used my store bought “Butt Rub” which is good.
On the other loin I made up a simple rub, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
Everyone said my rub was much better.
But I didn’t write down the proportions. :mad:
I have since acquired a notebook to keep track of smokes, rubs, recipes etc.
As mentioned here frequently, write stuff down, you never know when you hit a home run and want to repeat it.

Ouch. I'm a huge proponent of writing (logging) everything. Of course my recipes are stored with notes about small changes I make and the outcome, but also I log my cooks: meat, smoke wood, ambient temp and weather, preparations, cook process, etc. I find it helps when I want to replicate something or fine tune an otherwise good cook.

Ouch. I'm a huge proponent of writing (logging) everything. Of course my recipes are stored with notes about small changes I make and the outcome, but also I log my cooks: meat, smoke wood, ambient temp and weather, preparations, cook process, etc. I find it helps when I want to replicate something or fine tune an otherwise good cook.

oldsmokerdude,

i do the same thing. I have a separate notebook for "type" of meat, brisket,ribs,pork butt and so on. I do this so i can keep my notes straight and not have to hunt for my notes.

Been there lol. I always told myself "ya better write that down so you remember".... And then 2 weeks go by. Finally got myself into the habit of making notes though.

LOL---I write everything down!!
If I didn't I wouldn't be able to do my Step by Steps very good.
I even write stuff down that doesn't mean much & may never be needed, but it's better than missing something I needed.

Bear

Totally into the notebook but not anal about it. Game changer. Grab your note book when chowing down and critique. Ask the family. Was that a little too hot and reduce cayenne, etc. I use it for everything. Salsa, breakfast, you name it.

You REALLY wanna hit homeruns? Do a bunch of back to back smokes with same protein and take notes. I did 8 back to backs butts for daughters grad party and I have it nailed and I am brutally critical of my work. Strangely, despite injecting and other tricks using oak was really the key.

I hardly ever write any measurements down unless it's something new to me or I'm experimenting. I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother who never measured anything. So when I learned it was always done by eye and taste. A pinch here, a splash there, and a dollop of this. Not the best way of doing it, but it works.

Chris

Reactions: GATOR240 and dcecil
I hardly ever write any measurements down unless it's something new to me or I'm experimenting. I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother who never measured anything. So when I learned it was always done by eye and taste. A pinch here, a splash there, and a dollop of this. Not the best way of doing it, but it works.

Chris
Exactly how I learned from my grandmother too. She made the best egg salad, but never wrote down anything either and almost 10 years later I still haven’t been able to replicate hers even though I know all the ingredients she used.
I have been told I make the best sloppy joes, and folks ask for recipe every time I take it to a pot luck, and I tell them there isn’t one. I have several ingredients and I add them all according to taste.
Hopefully I’ll remember to use my notebook going forward. Well that and actually measure stuff out and not just pour spices in a bowl freehand like I normally do....o_O

LOL---I write everything down!!
If I didn't I wouldn't be able to do my Step by Steps very good.
I even write stuff down that doesn't mean much & may never be needed, but it's better than missing something I needed.

Bear

LOL you're like me, you start to write it down and forget what you are writing!!!! Start looking for the pencil that's in your hand? You old fart!

oldschoolbbq told me to take notes when I first came to the site. Actually gave me three website that had printed sheets. I just checked and they seem to all be gone now.

I used to write it all down, I have pages of stuff on the computer I have not added to my cookbook yet. Yes, I have a cookbook! Mom's, Pop's Grandma's, everyone's bestest recipes. I started it 20 years ago then decided to buy a cookbook software. BTW I have shamelessly stolen for all you guys, but I always give you credit.

But I babble, I hardly even use a recipe anymore, my favorites I know, and most of what I do is all now just salt and pepper anyway. Tasso, Sausage, Andouille, stixs and tasso are different, so are brines. Shorter way to say it, except for cured meats and brines.

Last edited:
I write somethings not everything. Like Foamy been doing some of them for so long no need for written recipe. I have my grandmothers cook book but I have a problem with it. You see its hard to understand because it will call for $.02 worth of this or $.05 worth on that.

Warren

Reactions: Miss Piggy
I admit my method is I sort of use SMF as my place to leave notes, along with my google photo albums. Despite buying a basic note book, I keep using here and google albums for my notes.. LOL

I don't think that I've ever done any cook exactly the same way twice. I go by taste and looks.

I have some of the basics down pat after so many years but I'm always tweaking. The cooks almost always seem better each time. If I see or taste a need in one of my written-down recipes, I will revise my printed copy. Problem is that I have online copies stashed in multiple places and usually don't go re-write those. I know that I should.

I got tired of the analog process over the years. Notebooks, papers, missing pages, scribbled notes, etc... Now all recipes and their ever increasing notes are stored on the computer in one single application. I religiously add notes for each smoke etc... A side benefit is I have instant access to all my recipes on the associated phone app when I'm at the grocer and can't remember what I used last time. For those that have a MAC, you might want to check out MacGourmet.

I frequently cook something new, off the top of my head. Hits get written down after the family reviews. Helps a lot because my crew like consistency and complains if Pot Roast, etc does not taste the same every time. Additionally the kids will call saying they want to make something and need the recipe...JJ

I write somethings not everything. Like Foamy been doing some of them for so long no need for written recipe. I have my grandmothers cook book but I have a problem with it. You see its hard to understand because it will call for $.02 worth of this or $.05 worth on that.

Warren

I mean most folks have never even seen a box of sugar..... let along have to guesstimate how much it weighed..... Some of Mom's have prices also.

I got tired of the analog process over the years. Notebooks, papers, missing pages, scribbled notes, etc... Now all recipes and their ever increasing notes are stored on the computer in one single application. I religiously add notes for each smoke etc... A side benefit is I have instant access to all my recipes on the associated phone app when I'm at the grocer and can't remember what I used last time. For those that have a MAC, you might want to check out MacGourmet.

That's a good one. For Microsoft users, One Note is a fantastic tool. Cut and paste your favorite recipe onto a new page. Easy to look them up on your phone when you're at the grocery store.

Warren

my dad found his grandmothers hand written cook book and it has the same style of recipe's , $.02 of this and that and also she called out "sweet milk" which i am not sure of. it sure is cool to look back at the time period as to how things was cooked and what they ate during the time period. nothing went to waste.

For sure there was no waste. We always had enough food for months. These kids today don't even know what a pantry is most new houses don't even have one. Raised a garden and canned everything (we still do) Killed most of our own meat. Ah the good old days.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky