Why won’t my meat cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there is no need to be precise? Just make up what's needed to cover the meat, plus. Inject what it will take and submerge...JJ
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying JJ,. What I meant is for the home curer 10% is about the max you'll get a piece of meat to hold no matter how hard you try.

ENOUGH ARGUING!!!!

From the USDA...

10. What causes grayish or green color on cured meats?
Exposure to light and oxygen causes oxidation to take place, which causes the breaking down of color pigments formed during the curing process. Chemicals in the cure and oxygen, as well as energy from ultraviolet and visible light, contribute to both the chemical breakdown and microbial spoilage of the product. Cure, such as nitrite, chemically changes the color of muscle. Curing solutions are colored in order to distinguish them from other ingredients (such as sugar or salt) used in fresh and cured meat products. For example, cured raw pork is gray, but cured cooked pork (e.g., ham) is light pink.

The Gray color quickly turns Red as the now exposed Myoglobin absorbs Oxygen. This Chemical reaction happens quickly and the Gray color can easily be missed. This is why there is an argument and misunderstanding Here. If you are not Specifically looking for Gray, you may not see it by the time the meat turns Red...JJ

ENOUGH ARGUING!!!!

From the USDA...

10. What causes grayish or green color on cured meats?
Exposure to light and oxygen causes oxidation to take place, which causes the breaking down of color pigments formed during the curing process. Chemicals in the cure and oxygen, as well as energy from ultraviolet and visible light, contribute to both the chemical breakdown and microbial spoilage of the product. Cure, such as nitrite, chemically changes the color of muscle. Curing solutions are colored in order to distinguish them from other ingredients (such as sugar or salt) used in fresh and cured meat products. For example, cured raw pork is gray, but cured cooked pork (e.g., ham) is light pink.

The Gray color quickly turns Red as the now exposed Myoglobin absorbs Oxygen. This Chemical reaction happens quickly and the Gray color can easily be missed. This is why there is an argument and misunderstanding Here. If you are not Specifically looking for Gray, you may not see it by the time the meat turns Red...JJ

Amazing how USDA gets it wrong too.
Cured Raw Pork is Pink, not gray.
Uncured Raw Pork is Gray, not Pink.
That's another thing you can see in pictures if you don't happen to do any curing yourself.

Bear

Reactions: Jabiru
DanMcG DanMcG My point was just..Based on what you are saying. There is no need to specifically measure out 10% to 2 decimal places. Since the meat will only take about 10%, just inject whatever it will take and proceed...JJ

Sorry JJ , I guess my comment came off wrong. I'm a firm believer in properly measuring all cures. I always base my cure on the weight of the meat and the percent uptake I plan to inject.

Last edited:
Sorry JJ , I guess my comment come off wrong. I'm a firm believer in properly measuring all cures. I always base my cure on the weight of the meat and the percent uptake I plan to inject.

I too am strict measuring Cure. I was just curious if 10% was a Magic Number or if pumping more would hurt anything. What you have found is meat will only take about 10% anyway. So it stands to reason that pumping all the meat will take will get you there, 10%+/- a little, whether you weigh it out first or not...JJ

BTW...I support precise measuring when using cures, especially for Newbies. The above is just the kind of stuff that pops into mind when I'm idle...

Great read. Thanks...JJ

This is what my Cured Loins and Tenderloin looks like. The Tenderloin was 14 days and the Loin was 18 Days, dry brined in Bag. But wet or dry = same results. If I compare to other peoples pictures it is pink through out.

View attachment 412944

Notice the white in the centre....
Did you cook the loin on a wood fired grill/smoker? I was just looking at this pic again and it looks more like a nice smoke ring, then it does cured meat.

My father passed away yesterday afternoon. Thanksgiving got put on hold.
Oh man, I'm super sorry to hear this Steve, that is terribly tragic news that almost everyone fears.
Hang in there brother that has to be some of the worst news ever, I am really sorry.
Dan

Steve H.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I lost my parents far too young.
And one year ago, we said goodbye to our daughter. (36Yo, leaving a 10yo grandson)

It gets easier, but as long as you hold the memories in your heart, they are never really gone.

Hang in there Friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky