Why won’t my meat cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I running to short a period? Do I need to inject?

I'd have to say you need to leave it in the cure longer. I can't say if it's your curing salt or fridge temps or what, but if it was me I'd go longer and see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
Thanks for that info Sawhorseray. I’ll pump some brine in as you describe. Will definitely inject from now on.

tenor.gif

I don't see any ingredients list on the package?
I went and looked . Ended up on an EBay page for Good stuff mate . No ingredient list there either .
How can you use it correctly if you don't know what's in the bag ?
I was just looking around the internet for more info on you curing product, (which I found zero) but I did find a cure #1 on ebay.au that is only 2% nitrite, which makes me wonder what you really have.
This is where you need to start . Make sure you have the right cure and use it properly .
Injecting what you already have is still a guess , and fixes nothing . I agree it should help , or like Dan said leave it longer but my opinion is get the right stuff and start over .
Cook what you have , but get it past 140 in 4 hours just to be safe .

you can damn sure see meat that didn't get cure on it before cooking it.

Mr Bear is absolutely correct with his posts.
Agree . You can take or leave the knowledge and experience , but " absolutely correct " is a true statement .

I can't say I've ever cut a piece of meat in half to see if it was cured, so I can't say if you could tell if it's cure thru to the center or not.
I Just might do a test, just to see what results I get.

I can't say I've ever cut a piece of meat in half to see if it was cured, so I can't say if you could tell if it's cure thru to the center or not.
I Just might do a test, just to see what results I get.

Yup---Give it a try Dan.
Been working for me for 9 years.
I think I got it from RonP (RIP) and a few others.

Bear

I can't tell the percentage of cure by naked eye, and I don't care, but I can tell if it's cured enough by the color.
Most people don't even check, but most people who learned from me check it the way I do.
You don't have to---That's up to you, but when you tell people they can't tell if the cure got to center by looking at the color, you're wrong, and hopefully there will be somebody there to correct that, before other people get it wrong too.

Every one of my Step by Steps in the curing section has that explained and over 9 years nobody has taken exception to it until You today. Hopefully somebody else can enlighten you. I give up.
I help people who want to be helped & learn what I have learned, and what hundreds of other guys on this forum have learned.

I'm done trying to help you. Somebody else please take over.

Bear
Bear, once you open a can of worms it's hard to get them all back in the can. I'm with you and give up. You can't fix stupid. Let's move on to better things ahead.

HT

Just Curious as I've not seen anything specific...injecting 10% is the standard, but what happens if I Inject all the meat will take, say 30% Cure Solution by weight?...JJ

Just Curious as I've not seen anything specific...injecting 10% is the standard, but what happens if I Inject all the meat will take, say 30% Cure Solution by weight?...JJ
I think you'll find to almost impossible to get a piece of meat to accept more than 10% JJ

Reactions: zwiller
I knew a girl in high school that was exceptionally skilled at curing meat, and the full acceptance of brine was never an issue. :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

Sorry I couldn't help it, and I know I'm not helping matters. Please delete if deemed necessary.
George.

• Wow
Reactions: forktender
Check the pic in Post #4 .
Perfect timing Mofatguy Mofatguy . Thanks for sharing this .

Reactions: Mofatguy
I think you'll find to almost impossible to get a piece of meat to accept more than 10% JJ

So there is no need to be precise? Just make up what's needed to cover the meat, plus. Inject what it will take and submerge...JJ

Check the pic in Post #4 .
Perfect timing Mofatguy Mofatguy . Thanks for sharing this .

Thanks Rich!!
That Thread explains & shows exactly what I was talking about, and what I've been seeing with my naked eye & doing for 9 years. It doesn't take a superman--It's there for the average eye to see, if you're smart enough to look.
Like I said, "It's not Rocket science. You just have to listen to the guys who have been doing it all along!
Laughing at me doesn't change the facts.

Bear

Last edited:
This is what my Cured Loins and Tenderloin looks like. The Tenderloin was 14 days and the Loin was 18 Days, dry brined in Bag. But wet or dry = same results. If I compare to other peoples pictures it is pink through out.

1.jpeg

Notice the white in the centre....

2.jpeg

The second one you were almost there . That first one not even close for 18 days .

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky