Why the wait?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rancid crabtree

Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Aside from making the cheese taste better, what is actually taking place with the waiting time on smoked cheese? I smoked my first cheese last night

Cheddar

Swiss

Pepper Jack

Moz. sticks

Curds

I couldnt help myself and sampled a curd. It was like licking an ash tray. I understand that all these cheeses will be much improved after two weeks but I dont understand how or why. What chem reaction or other process is taking place during the two week rest period that makes it taste better?

I am not a chemist nor have i tried to find out why this works...it just does!! It takes time for the smoke to mellow out and not be so overpowering.If you find the anwser let us know!

Licking an Ash Tray.....Ha Ha Ha Ha  !!!!
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky