Why I'm Now Obsessed with Sharp Kitchen Knives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And take a picture! I'd love to see it.

I suspect my Italian immigrant grandfather had his own set of knives that he kept sharp. He made all the old country cured meats, and I doubt he did that with dull knives. Unfortunately, we lived on opposite coasts, so I only saw him on major holidays every few years. He was a WWI veteran and has long since passed.
Will do! I hope I remember next visit!

That’s unfortunate. Youth and distance sometimes get in the way of hearing/learning some amazing history. But, I think sometimes there is a generation gap and context more than anything. We have some amazing history in our family that never really got passed along because my grandparents, and even parents didn’t see the value of it.

Reactions: noboundaries
Nice thread noboundaries noboundaries , I need to get a good sharpener that can put on a quick and lasting edge! I used to love sharpening knives with a whetstone and take the time to do it…. but with work, kids and life being busy, I just don’t seem to find the time to do that anymore!

Thanks, Justin. Life can definitely steal time from things we love doing. Chasing balance is never-ending...until retirement.

There's a Work Sharp video about sharpening a dull knife in 90 seconds on their rotating tri-stone sharpener with built in angle guides. I have no experience with it, but it gave me ideas how to use stropping strokes on a 320, then 1000, then 5000 stone to get faster results.

I have a 6" beater kitchen utility knife that gets dull quickly. It lasts about 3-4 weeks before it won't slice magazine paper after swipes on a steel. Due to that video, I use heavy pressure on the 320, less on the 1000, then very light on the 5000. A couple minutes total and it slices the paper again.

I spend more time on my better knives to get a more polished edge. But there's that word again...time.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
To me there's levels of sharpness and I bet the Work Sharp is very good for all around use and fast. I wanted the true next level for my chisels and planes. I like hand tools. A properly setup hand plane is dream to use. IMO that's were stropping and compounds come in. Some guys get all the japanese 500000 grit stones and jigs. I wanted cheap and fast but GOOD. That MDF disc and jeweler's rouge is serious business for all but the sharpest of needs say like fish filleting. Was working with my Dad one time and he grabbed one of my chisels and before I could warn him how sharp it was he tested the edge with his thumb slicing it open.

Thanks, Justin. Life can definitely steal time from things we love doing. Chasing balance is never-ending...until retirement.

There's a Work Sharp video about sharpening a dull knife in 90 seconds on their rotating tri-stone sharpener with built in angle guides. I have no experience with it, but it gave me ideas how to use stropping strokes on a 320, then 1000, then 5000 stone to get faster results.

I have a 6" beater kitchen utility knife that gets dull quickly. It lasts about 3-4 weeks before it won't slice magazine paper after swipes on a steel. Due to that video, I use heavy pressure on the 320, less on the 1000, then very light on the 5000. A couple minutes total and it slices the paper again.

I spend more time on my better knives to get a more polished edge. But there's that word again...time.

Ray, you pushed me over the edge… LOL. I have been meaning to get a sharpener! I just pulled the trigger on this!

Ray, you pushed me over the edge… LOL. I have been meaning to get a sharpener! I just pulled the trigger on this!
Happy to push, Justin. Great choice! Looking forward to you sharing the experience with the sharpener. I'll take full responsibility for any smiles.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Ahh this is a skill I so struggle with. Probably 2 of my closest friends are/ were Butchers. I have been shown how countless times. I still struggle, I know I need to practice more. Once I reach my point of irritation and my poor 10 Chefs Knife will not even cut butter. I take them to a great local shop that returns them to me, and also is very encouraging of me at least trying to sharpen the knife.

Ahh this is a skill I so struggle with. Probably 2 of my closest friends are/ were Butchers. I have been shown how countless times. I still struggle, I know I need to practice more. Once I reach my point of irritation and my poor 10 Chefs Knife will not even cut butter. I take them to a great local shop that returns them to me, and also is very encouraging of me at least trying to sharpen the knife.
I think everyone struggles with stone sharpening in the beginning. What turned the corner for me was NOT holding the knife the way I see the pros do on YouTube. I hold the knife, any straight-edge knife, perpendicular to the stone with the edge facing away from me. I lift the spine of the knife to the angle I want and place my thumbs against the stone and the spine. I get a feel for that position on my thumbs. My fingertips are on the side of the blade applying downward pressure.

Then start my push/pull, keeping the knife perpendicular to the stone and working tip to heel up and down the stone, counting as I do.

Feel for the burr. If it's there, I switch hands and repeat on the other side of the knife. I've never seen anyone do this but it absolutely works.

I got the idea from watching a YouTube video where the person was sharpening a LONG knife, but the edge was facing him. I thought "It would be easier to keep the angle with the edge facing away." Guess what? It is!

Give it a try with a beater knife, and don't be afraid to use some real pressure. Use lighter pressure as you progress up through the stones.

Have fun!

Ray

I showed Mrs Bear how to use our Chef's Choice Electric sharpener, because I now shake too much to do them myself.
When I was still in the Cabinet business, my Sharpening guys used to sharpen my knives for me for Free, but they used to make a few $$Hundred from me per year for sharpening the Knives & cutters for my Shapers, Planer, and Jointer, and the Carbide Saw Blades for my Table Saw, Radial Saw, and Sliding Compound Miter Saw. The Free knife sharpening was kinda to keep me as a customer.
They did a Fine Job too. They'd even pick the dull stuff up & bring it back in a few days all sharpened up.

Bear

Knife sharpening is a skill I absolutely must take up and master. I got a Ken Onion worksharp for Christmas a couple years ago snd I just cannot get the hang of it. I did read it’s harder to use for lefties. I have exceptionally good knives and I really need to be able to restore those edges better.

I showed Mrs Bear how to use our Chef's Choice Electric sharpener, because I now shake too much to do them myself.
When I was still in the Cabinet business, my Sharpening guys used to sharpen my knives for me for Free, but they used to make a few $$Hundred from me per year for sharpening the Knives & cutters for my Shapers, Planer, and Jointer, and the Carbide Saw Blades for my Table Saw, Radial Saw, and Sliding Compound Miter Saw. The Free knife sharpening was kinda to keep me as a customer.
They did a Fine Job too. They'd even pick the dull stuff up & bring it back in a few days all sharpened up.

Bear
Great story, Bear! Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the idea of teaching my wife to use our Chef's Choice sharpener. Now I have to figure out how to do that.

Knife sharpening is a skill I absolutely must take up and master. I got a Ken Onion worksharp for Christmas a couple years ago snd I just cannot get the hang of it. I did read it’s harder to use for lefties. I have exceptionally good knives and I really need to be able to restore those edges better.

Hey, Jeff. That's good to know about lefties and the Work Sharp. I've not heard that before.

I'm a leftie for writing, shooting, and a few other things; a rightie for sports, eating, and tools, etc. Many of you may have suspected I'm wired weird, or weird wired, same letters, different order, just like me. Still, I start the knife on the stone with my right hand, then do the other side with my left. The left actually took getting used to the feel but muscle memory developed quickly.

Give switching hands a try using the method I described above. A beater knife helps a lot while learning.

Great story, Bear! Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for the idea of teaching my wife to use our Chef's Choice sharpener. Now I have to figure out how to do that.

Hey, Jeff. That's good to know about lefties and the Work Sharp. I've not heard that before.

I'm a leftie for writing, shooting, and a few other things; a rightie for sports, eating, and tools, etc. Many of you may have suspected I'm wired weird, or weird wired, same letters, different order, just like me. Still, I start the knife on the stone with my right hand, then do the other side with my left. The left actually took getting used to the feel but muscle memory developed quickly.

Give switching hands a try using the method I described above. A beater knife helps a lot while learning.
I’m gonna give righty a go and a biddy of mine uses a regular worj sharp. He’s going to give me some help too.

I'm no pro on the sharpening but they are ok sharp. tomatoes and onions stay round anyway. I just want to add when the op mentioned having time, as smokers and particularly stick burners a butt or brisket is sharpening time. 10plus hours of nothing to do but tend the fire a little tv and knife sharpening. I generally around late A.M. gather the stones, some water and knives. I set out under the pavilion with tv on and just start sharpening. some knives are done in 10 to 20. some I have to rub on for hour or more. some times I'm just touching up, sometimes working a ding out. And then there is the, it was sharp I dulled it with strokes at the wrong angle so I have to fix my own screw up, lol.

I'm no pro on the sharpening but they are ok sharp. tomatoes and onions stay round anyway. I just want to add when the op mentioned having time, as smokers and particularly stick burners a butt or brisket is sharpening time. 10plus hours of nothing to do but tend the fire a little tv and knife sharpening. I generally around late A.M. gather the stones, some water and knives. I set out under the pavilion with tv on and just start sharpening. some knives are done in 10 to 20. some I have to rub on for hour or more. some times I'm just touching up, sometimes working a ding out. And then there is the, it was sharp I dulled it with strokes at the wrong angle so I have to fix my own screw up, lol.
Perfect add, PH69! I'm not a stickburner, but many are. Great suggestion to pass the time. Thanks for planting the idea.

Ray

Reactions: phathead69
I have three wet stones and a honing steel.
I feel guilty at this point when one of my knives aren't sharp.
But I grew up w/ all the knives in the drawer w/ the other utensils.
Im thinking about acquiring a leather strop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky