Why don’t pros brine ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
I’m curious to know why the bbq competition pros don’t seem to brine their ribs. When every little advantage counts, how can there be zero advantage to brining?

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
The first advantage they have is buying heritage pork, it's truly worth the price. And I'm sure some do brine, but I think injection is faster and much easier to handle with cooler space and all. I treat myself to Duroc ribs from Creekstone once a year and have never been disappointed.

I have injected ribs many times, and have brined them with cure#1 to make bacon on a stick. But some of the best ribs I have had were just S&P, and smoked to an IT of 195. I do mop them with a combo of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, & bbq sauce every 45 minutes.
Al

I’m curious to know why the bbq competition pros don’t seem to brine their ribs. When every little advantage counts, how can there be zero advantage to brining?
I could be dead wrong but:
Doesn't Myron Mixon brine his from time to time?
Ginger ale and salt, OJ, Soy Sauce and a few other treats.
I think his last Memphis in May win may have been brined.
I may be way wrong though.

how can there be zero advantage to brining?
I may be wrong , and thirdeye thirdeye might have some in site to this . I would guess the comp guys are targeting certain wants from the region and the Judges ?
I see guys dry rub their ribs and hold them before cooking . Same thing in my opinion .

I've always figured added salt determines if it's a brine or marinade. Maybe call it a brine marinade? Don't make no nevermine,, it's good!

The first advantage they have is buying heritage pork, it's truly worth the price. And I'm sure some do brine, but I think injection is faster and much easier to handle with cooler space and all. I treat myself to Duroc ribs from Creekstone once a year and have never been disappointed.
I just checked out Creekstone and the prices are a little high but with today's prices not THAT high.
Seriously considering the tri-tips. We've been living like hermits and need a treat now and then.....
Thanks for the link!

I may be wrong , and thirdeye thirdeye might have some in site to this . I would guess the comp guys are targeting certain wants from the region and the Judges ?
I see guys dry rub their ribs and hold them before cooking . Same thing in my opinion .
I've heard it said that competition cooks want to serve 6 people and not offend anyone..... and at the same time give them one bite that has the "wow" factor. This is harder than it sounds.

And yes you are right, competition cooks target judges tastes but they are mindful of trends and they really watch their scores. Some admit they make adjustments for a region, others stick with a winning combination and repeat the same thing until their scores reflect a need for some changes.

I just checked out Creekstone and the prices are a little high but with today's prices not THAT high.
Seriously considering the tri-tips. We've been living like hermits and need a treat now and then.....
Thanks for the link!
Watch for specials. Along with the last ribs I ordered they had a special on Prime flank steaks (which they have on special right now) they were awesome. And sometimes they bundle meats and call it a BBQ Combo. They have a map that shows if you live in a 2-day or 3-day shipping zone. I'm right on the border and my stuff has always arrived in 2-days.

Pretty much my thoughts . Good inside info on the approach to it .

I can't stand when someone says " That's how I make it , you like it or you don't "
That's not why I like to cook for people . I want them all to like at least some part of it .

I can't stand when someone says " That's how I make it , you like it or you don't "
That's not why I like to cook for people . I want them all to like at least some part of it .
... or give them something they have not had (or get very often).

Never done it, but might be something to consider with BB ribs. That loin meat might benefit from a brine, at least enough to give your ribs an edge. The spares and SL ribs I think quality meat, cooked right is hard to beat.

Dunno from pros, but I've been using Alton Brown's recipe for years. Custimized of course. Salt, sugar, molasses, favorite spices, warm water, w/ ribs in a zip lock. Kitchen counter ofr 2 hours max, or it gets tooo soft. Clamp into my rack on the spit, start at blast furnace heat 15 minutes, lower to about 250 for another hour, +?

I'm heading to MNF pot luck and I do my best with my ribs for friends. They like the marinated but smoked right is the favorite.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky