Why can't i find a brick smoker with the firebox next to it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HitManQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Hello everyone.

I live in saudi arabia and don't have a lot of options for smokers to pick from.
I'm currently using a "not so great" offset barrel smoker. And was thinking of either a custom build from a gas tank or a brick smoker.

So i've been trying to educate myself on builds, what i found is that vertical brick smokers have their fire right under the smoking box, while similar metal ones have their firboxes next to it. Not sure why is that, the build that came to mind was the "next to" one, but felt like i was missing a vital info as to why most out there just have the fire under it.

So my question is, why don't they just build the firebox next to it to avoid direct heat and have more space in the smoker without having it built high?

Thanks in advance

Also, houses in my country have tiled yards. And a roof which is more like another yard. Currently i'm living in the second floor with a roof. I'm planing to build it there, so height is a bit of an issue.

It takes a lot of heat to warm a brick smoker.. external FB takes forever to heat a brick smoker.. I had one for years.. a lot of wasted wood to heat the smoker... usually 16 or so hours to get it up to temp... Then I could smoke 200 + pounds of meat..

Reactions: HitManQ
It takes a lot of heat to warm a brick smoker.. external FB takes forever to heat a brick smoker.. I had one for years.. a lot of wasted wood to heat the smoker... usually 16 or so hours to get it up to temp... Then I could smoke 200 + pounds of meat..

Oh never thought it takes this much, i had a gut feeling i was missing some important info.
What about if it's just under it. I'm guessing much less than that.

My buddy smoked meats professionally... His smoker was steel sheet.. 10' X 20' X 7' high... He had a roll out firebox... It sat in the middle of the smoker, under the floor... It was suspended from steel rails and rolled on steel wheels.. He could pull it out from under the smoker, add wood and roll it back in... Slickest thing I ever saw... It would hold about 1500#'s of meat.. No heat loss using a design like that... It was a "semi" cold smoker... salmon, sausage and salami were the primary meats...

My buddy smoked meats professionally... His smoker was steel sheet.. 10' X 20' X 7' high... He had a roll out firebox... It sat in the middle of the smoker, under the floor... It was suspended from steel rails and rolled on steel wheels.. He could pull it out from under the smoker, add wood and roll it back in... Slickest thing I ever saw... It would hold about 1500#'s of meat.. No heat loss using a design like that... It was a "semi" cold smoker... salmon, sausage and salami were the primary meats...

Sounds awesome

I guess i'll look for someone who could build something like that for me

Thanks a lot

That sounds interesting, i'll look into that
Thanks a lot
Plenty of ideas on this site. I have a couple friends that use them and they work great. No welding necessary for the most part, just refurbishing and pulling out the refrigerator coils and compressor. Be sure to use one that has a metal interior and not plastic, plastic will gas off vapors that will not be good to eat. If you do use one with a plastic interior, need to remove all the plastic and replace with sheet metal.

Plenty of ideas on this site. I have a couple friends that use them and they work great. No welding necessary for the most part, just refurbishing and pulling out the refrigerator coils and compressor. Be sure to use one that has a metal interior and not plastic, plastic will gas off vapors that will not be good to eat. If you do use one with a plastic interior, need to remove all the plastic and replace with sheet metal.

You've been a great help, i really appreciate it.
I guess i was too sure that i wanted a brick smoker that i didn't consider the other options (aside from a gas tank)

You've been a great help, i really appreciate it.
I guess i was too sure that i wanted a brick smoker that i didn't consider the other options (aside from a gas tank)

Plenty of ways to build a smokehouse. Don't discount the old school use of wood. No telling how many pounds of meat have been smoked over the centuries using a simple wood smokehouse. I build mine and lined the inside with Hardi concrete board. The Hardi board construction panels retain heat like steel, and you can cut it with a razor knife. No welding.

The hardiboard is used in home construction around fireplaces for heat insulation. Works great for a smoke house and keeps the wood cooler so it won't catch fire and it will last longer.

Plenty of ways to build a smokehouse. Don't discount the old school use of wood. No telling how many pounds of meat have been smoked over the centuries using a simple wood smokehouse. I build mine and lined the inside with Hardi concrete board. The Hardi board construction panels retain heat like steel, and you can cut it with a razor knife. No welding.

The hardiboard is used in home construction around fireplaces for heat insulation. Works great for a smoke house and keeps the wood cooler so it won't catch fire and it will last longer.

I thought wood would (no pun intended) only work in cold smoking.
Sounds like it's time to hit the building posts again with an open mind for everything

Most woods will start thermal breakdown around 350*. Some can handle a little higher. If you leave a 1/4~1/2" air gap between the wood and the hardi panel, the wood will stay cool to the touch even running between 300~350*.

I use mine mainly for smoking and BBQing up to 275*.

This might not be the best option if you will be running the temp. up to 300* all the time for your business.

Most woods will start thermal breakdown around 350*. Some can handle a little higher. If you leave a 1/4~1/2" air gap between the wood and the hardi panel, the wood will stay cool to the touch even running between 300~350*.

I use mine mainly for smoking and BBQing up to 275*.

This might not be the best option if you will be running the temp. up to 300* all the time for your business.

First of all, i can't thank you enough for all the info i got

I think you're right about it not being optimal for heavy use at higher temps, to be honest this might be a trial phase to try out different builds for a possible expansion into an actual resturant

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky