• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Who's got the BEST burger recipe?

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 23, 2010
I’m looking for a great burger recipe. Not smoked or stuffed, just a great burger. I’ve made decent burgers in the past, but have never found a great recipe that you bite into it and the juices run down your arms. Anyone got any tried and true recipes? I checked the search fxn, but most everything I saw was for smoked and/or stuffed burgers. Thanks y’all.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
If you want an awesome burger then you need to try them smoked and even better yet stuffed and smoked. You are missing out.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 23, 2010
If you want an awesome burger then you need to try them smoked and even better yet stuffed and smoked. You are missing out.
I couldn't agree more. However, this weekend I will be out of town at a friend's house and he doesn't have a smoker. Just looking for something easy to do on his grill without taking all my gear up there and doing something that will take a while.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Jun 1, 2008
I grind my burger fresh so that makes a world of difference.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
I just mix burger, egg, oatmeal or crackers for a little binding, green peppers, onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, A1, Horsey sauce and anything else I feel like throwing in there and make some patties and throw them on the grill.

justpassingthru

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2009
I'm like Brian, I grind my hamburger from chuck,  it does make all the difference in the world, you don't necessarily need a Stuftz, you can make them by hand and you can take some of your favorite rub with you, as for smokiness on a grill, you might try some chips in a foil pouch set on the flavorizer bars with a couple of holes poked in it. 

Turn your friend on to our passion, let him see and taste what it's all about.

Gene

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
I agree with the fresh ground Chucky thing
and as far as additions to the meat as flavor; simple S/CBP lots of pepper when you place it on the grill. no need to reseason.Cook to your likeness and add cheese (if so) and put the bun on at the last turn(when you put those# marks on them), add sone good American or Cheddar and the Tomatoe,lettuce,onion,and the condiment of your choice. Our favorite is a BIG Onion ring with my BBQ sauce as the dressing. Add some skin on Bar Fries and Sea Salt.

Dang, now I may have to do a late meal, my stomace is rolling.

Have fun and,

flbobecu

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 11, 2010
S&P here.. I prefer to just taste the meat, and lately, we've been having nothing but brisket burgers (ground black angus brisket). Cook indirect and flip very often (ie once a minute).

To die for, literally. :drool

graywolf36

Joined Mar 8, 2011
I like to grind my own also.  80% top round(or other cuts on sale) and 20% pork.  I then just add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder( powder not salt).Now my wife likes for me to chop (real fine) bell pepper and onion to mix in. Of course I then leave out the onion powder.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I agree with meateater, there are so many ways to make burgers & the greatest burger to you may not be the greatest to your friend. I think if you grind your own, then smoke them, you certainly have the start to that greatest burger you are looking for.

Last edited:

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I like to keep it simple, like everything else I do:

I start with a fairly lean Ground Beef (about an 85/15).

I mix about 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce in each 8 ounce patty.

Then into the Smoker at about 160˚, until they are about 115˚ internal temp.

Then finish them to my liking on the Weber "Q".

Simple but Great !

Bear

longhorn

Joined Mar 25, 2011
first, start with the freshest grinds you can get (Some smaller stores will grind meat fresh every day).  Cook up a few strips of bacon to your liking then mix the chopped bacon with a healthy serving of shredded cheddar cheese, or gouda.  Make sure to add some nice salt seasoning.   Make sure to thoroughly mix all your ingredients together.  I love rare burgers but these will actually turn out great when they are medium....yes, even medium.

big twig

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 24, 2011
Make patties out of 80/20 beef, nice season of S & P, All coals on one side of grill, cook on direct heat just until the char of the burger lets you flip without any restraint, as soon as both side have a decent char on them and can be moved without sticking to grates, move to indirect heat and cover the grill, about 3 minutes (depending on the size of burgers) you have a nice Med Rare that when you bite into juice will run down your face. Remember if you ad eggs or any type of bread filler your making meatballs or meatloaf.

If you want to get fancy with themes (bbq, italian, irish, jamaican, etc.) I make over 30 different burgers and could give you some more ideas. I feel the best burgers are simple and just cooked perfect.

Last edited:

cliffcarter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 28, 2010
Remember the Kiss Rule- a burger is ground meat cooked hot and fast and served hot and juicy, it is not meat loaf on a bun IMHO. BTW minimum internal temp should be 140° on all ground meat, you don't want to make anyone ill.

eman

Rest in peace. Lost but not forgotten!!
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
I have a quick burger that we love but they are cooked under the broiler.

mix 1 lb ground beef w 2 eggs a touch of milk and 3 tbsp ranch dressing.

should form a meat paste. spread this paste thin  over each half of a burger bun. spread past the edges at least 1/4 inch.

Broil till meat is done   My moms allways called em ranch burgers and they are great.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I have a quick burger that we love but they are cooked under the broiler.

mix 1 lb ground beef w 2 eggs a touch of milk and 3 tbsp ranch dressing.

should form a meat paste. spread this paste thin  over each half of a burger bun. spread past the edges at least 1/4 inch.

Broil till meat is done   My moms allways called em ranch burgers and they are great.
I gotta try that Eman!---sounds GREAT !

Bear

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
I'm like Brian, I grind my hamburger from chuck,  it does make all the difference in the world, you don't necessarily need a Stuftz, you can make them by hand and you can take some of your favorite rub with you, as for smokiness on a grill, you might try some chips in a foil pouch set on the flavorizer bars with a couple of holes poked in it. 

Turn your friend on to our passion, let him see and taste what it's all about.

Gene
Right on the money for me - used the foil packets all the time before I had a smoker.  I also like to make a sauce wth chipotle peppers or powder and mayo for a little extra flavor  

Here is a website that has some good recipes too

http://www.hamburger-recipes.com/index.html

And this one has some AMAZING recipes

http://www.cheeseandburger.com/

Last edited:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.