Whole Wheat "Pop Pop" Pan Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
20220812_185740.jpg

Okay, technically this is called a "Grandma Pizza," but I ain't no grandma.

I've noticed a trend over the last couple of years where online bread and pizza dough recipes are using WAAAAAY more yeast than is necessary to get a beautiful and consistent rise and oven spring. They are recommending 2.5% to 4% yeast weight compared to flour weight. 1% to 1.5% is generally the max to use. Rustic breads are even less, like as little as .5% Too much yeast can actually cause breads to be flat, not risen.

Fermenting bread causes flavor. The faster bread ferments, the less flavor it will have. If too much yeast is used, a long fermentation (2+ days), even a cold ferment, will cause really unpalatable flavor elements.

The recipe below, developed by me, used minimal yeast initially (1/8 tsp), and only 1 additional tsp later. The flavor results were fantastic.

KA stands for King Arthur.

Overnight Whole Wheat Pan Pizza Dough

This was AWESOME! Process worked. The fermented dough flavor was apparent even with the strong sausage toppings. Texture was soft, but strong.

First Ingredients
120g KA Whole Wheat Flour
120g KA Bread Flour
120g KA AP Flour
9g fine sea salt
.5g (⅛ tsp) instant yeast
270g room temp water

Mix all ingredients to form a ragged dough leaving no dry flour. Cover with cling wrap and bulk ferment on the counter for 18-24 hours.

Stretch and fold in the bowl with a wet hand to strengthen the gluten. You'll feel the difference after 4-6 stretch and folds.

Second Ingredients
50g room temp water
4g (1 tsp) sugar
4g (1 tsp) instant or active dry yeast
100g (¾ cup + 1 level Tbs) AP Flour

Dissolve sugar and yeast into water. Add the liquid and flour to the fermented dough. Use a wet hand to incorporate fully. Wet hand as often as needed to keep the dough from sticking.

Cover with cling wrap and rest 15-30 minutes.

Put a half cup of AP flour on a working surface. Add the rested dough. Sprinkle top with more AP flour. Flatten, fold, roll tight, then tuck and rotate to build surface tension.

Place back in the floured bowl, cover, and rest 30-60 minutes.

Liberally use extra virgin olive oil on a half baking sheet. Ensure the bottom and sides are well oiled.

Add the pizza dough. Coat top with more oil. Use fingertips to flatten and spread toward corners. If dough draws back, cover with a second half baking sheet and rest 10-15 minutes. Repeat the spread, cover, and rest 2-3 times until the corners are reached.

Build pizza. Cheeses first, then sauce, garlic/onions, and finally meats. Cook at 450°F for 30-35 mins. Cut into 24 square pieces (cut in half lengthwise, then each half lengthwise. Then 5 even cuts crosswise.

One answer to an unasked question.

Why the three flours?
The whole wheat flour adds a subtle flavor. I don't like the flavor of 100% whole wheat, and trust me, I've tried it.

The bread flour adds a gluten texture and strength. 100% bread flour is absolutely fine but gives a chewy texture that can be tough.

The AP flour adds a softness. 100% AP is too soft IMO.

All my bread recipes generally use the 1/3rd WW/bread/AP Flour combo. I have additional ingredients in my bread recipes that do not work well for this overnight pizza dough.

If my pizza turns out looking like thar you can call me anything you want! Just don't forget to call me for supper!
Pizza looks wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Ryan

Reactions: noboundaries
If my pizza turns out looking like thar you can call me anything you want! Just don't forget to call me for supper!
Pizza looks wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Ryan
Thanks, Ryan. It may look like a lot of work, but it's not. Takes just as much work as a regular pizza from scratch but it's spread over a longer time, and nothing is time critical.

Excellent looking pizza Ray. The browned cheese makes it look mouthwateringly good.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

View attachment 640977

Thanks, Bill. And thanks for the chuckle!

Another Pop Pop pizza time. Ready to go in the 550°F oven for 15-20 mins.

Loaded in order with EVOO, homemade pizza dough, sliced provolone cheese, sliced mozzarella cheese, pepperoni. raw Italian bulk sausage, julienned onions, the sauce, and a dusting of Pecorino Romano. More Romano will follow after it cooks.

Oh, and one thing I really dislike when making pizza is slicing the cheese. Recently we open a box of family heirlooms and found a vintage cheese slicer. Holy Moly it made slicing cheese SOOOOO easy. I immediately ordered a modern one for like $15.

20221215_173458.jpg

20221215_175933.jpg

20221215_173625.jpg

Oh man that looks awesome! Time to make some pizza! I’ve never seen a cheese slicer like that? Does it work better than the one with the straight wire? I did have one of those for a bit, but it only worked on soft cheese.

Reactions: noboundaries
That looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, TB. Every time I make one my wife and I say, "This is SOOOOO much better than anything we can buy." Sure makes you thirsty, afterwards.

Oh man that looks awesome! Time to make some pizza! I’ve never seen a cheese slicer like that? Does it work better than the one with the straight wire? I did have one of those for a bit, but it only worked on soft cheese.

Thanks, Jed. It's been probably 40 years since we had a cheese slicer with a wire. Neither my wife nor I can remember if it had the curved wire or not. The slicer, and the memory of its convenience, got lost in many moves over the years. This one worked GREAT on the mozzarella brick. So much so, I had my wife come down from work upstairs, handed her the slicer, and she got as giddy as I did slicing the mozz. The one I ordered has a straight wire and reviews indicated it lasts for years and years. We'll see.

Thanks for posting nb! Looks like a great dough!

Thanks, Keith. It is a great dough. I gave this one a full 24 hours ferment on the counter but only used 1/4 tsp instant yeast for the ferment. I used the above recipe, but eliminated the bread flour. I used 200g whole wheat, 200g AP flour, and 300g total water (75% hydration). Today I added the rest of the water and yeast. 6 minutes in the mixer with the dough hook, a 1-hour rise, and it was ready to build the pizza. It gave the pizza dough a thickness kinda between a regular and a thick crust. The higher AP flour gave a softer dough, which my wife wanted.

The overnight ferment gives the dough a VERY subtle tang. Not quite as noticeable as sourdough, but more flavor than a same-day double-rise and build.

Last edited:
Nice looking Pizza and write up Ray.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks, Chris. So dang yummy. My wife is going into the office today. As we were kissing goodbye she pointed at me and said, "I put the pizza away last night. I know EXACTLY how many pieces are left." I said, "You shoulda been an accountant."

which cheese knife did you order, if you don't mind sharing?
One made in Germany. Bought on Amazon. Regular price was like $19. It's on sale. It's not really adjustable. You just lean the slicer at a different angle to get a thinner slice. Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot 2022-12-16 085326.jpg

Reactions: gmc2003
Wow Ray, another great looking pizza. :emoji_thumbsup:
As you stated in another thread, you're becoming quite the baker. Pizza maker anyway, solid work.:emoji_muscle:

Thanks, Bill. My nickname playing HS football was Pizza. Talk about the crystal doughball!

I've been making pizza for more than 40 years, but it was only after Roller's bread thread here on SMF that I learned to perfect both my bread and pizza dough processes, including "on the fly" adjustments. Learning baker's math and flour differences on YouTube was the key.

The sauce? That's in my blood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky