Whole Shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin_all_night

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
North Texas
Does anyone have a USDA diagram or picture that depicts a whole shoulder? As has been discussed at length on this forum, all that is available around here (North Texas) are Boston Butts and occasionally Picnics. I have gone to meat markets and despite being meat markets, they all seem to buy their meat pre-cut from processors like IBP so a whole shoulder is not available. However, interestingly enough, there is a new large Chinese Supermarket near here that cuts their own pork and will cut my shoulders for me. However there is a language problem, I don't speak Mandarin.

I have searched this forum and the Internet and I cannot find a depiction of a whole shoulder. I know, years ago on this forum, there were such pictures but I cannot find them.

Thanks,
Aubrey Page
smokin_all_night
OTBS #007

Hi, here's the best I could find. Hope it helps! If you want more info, pm POPS6927, he knows everything there is to know about meat cuts and will be glad to help you,

clip_image001.gif
clip_image002.gif

CRAP...HANG ON LET ME FIX THAT. !

Thanks Rivet for the reply. As usual it's never as easy as I think it is. From your diagram, it looks like item 4029 is what I am referring to when I say a whole shoulder. It looks like from an internet search on the term Pork Shoulder 4029, there are things that one needs to specify to the meat cutter such as Number of ribs, items to be removed, how low on the foot to go, etc.

Anyone know the answers?

Regards,
Aubrey Page
smokin_all_night
OTBS #007

Living in Virginia and North Carolina (back when I did). when one referred to a "whole pork shoulder" it meant the entire blade, shoulder meat, part of both leg bones, however, it never included any ribs or feet.

So...I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. You may want to talk to your butcher, and if he or she works in a smaller store, so much the better.

What you may be looking for is a primal quarter if you want ribs involved. That's a pretty big hunk of meat unless you get it froma suckling pig, and then it would be just the perfect size for a cookout!

Above is a picture I labeled from a whole hog split for a hog roast someone had posted on this site, and you can see the butt and the picnic which comprises the whole shoulder when left together and not split in half. In processing, the backbone-ribcage is removed, the hock cut off, then divided in half into butt and picnic. Hope this helps!

Yes that does help. The part about the backbone and ribcage being removed especially.

Thanks!

Aubrey Page

OTBS #007

OK, Pops and Rivet, I just got back from the Chinese supermarket. I got a 13.5 pound whole shoulder with the ribcage and backbone removed. The advice you gave was very helpful and not a word of english was spoken.

Like a Picnic, it has a thick skin on the outside. In the past, I have always removed it. Is that what you recommend?

If I leave it on, it will keep one side moist and tender. If I remove it, I will get better smoke penetration.

Advice?

Regards.
Aubrey Page
OTBS #007

看起來您做了很好的訂單中。 。 。

Looks like you did good on your order...

Congratulations on your succesful find!

I'd remove most of the skin (save it) down to the lower third of the piece. This will keep the thinner portion of the meat closest to the bone moist and insulate it from cooking too fast, as well as giving you great stuff to make cracklins with.

You may want to smoke the removed skin by itself , maybe in a foil pan. It will make a great flavor additive to baked beans, blackeyed peas, and a must-have for greens. I'd slice it into rough squares about 4x4 inches.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky