Whole ox-tail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BryanMaloney

Original poster
Jul 26, 2022
Anyone have experience smoking whole oxtail? I don't like getting pre-cut oxtail for any purpose because sawing ends up creating bone splinters, so I process my own from whole. Given the unique properties of smoking, would I want to skin the oxtail before smoking it or leave it on? Likewise, what sort of time would be good for smoking it at about 220-225F?

Oxtail really benefits from braising. Lots of connective tissue there to break down, I’ve never smoked it but if I did it would be for only a couple few hours then into the pressure cooker or in a pan with red wine and vegetables to cook slowly in liquid. Smoking all the way I think would dry the little bit of meat there out and would end in failure, but give it a go if you want and post results.

Oxtail really benefits from braising. Lots of connective tissue there to break down, I’ve never smoked it but if I did it would be for only a couple few hours then into the pressure cooker or in a pan with red wine and vegetables to cook slowly in liquid. Smoking all the way I think would dry the little bit of meat there out and would end in failure, but give it a go if you want and post results.
I second this. Oxtail is best braising for soup/broth.
I've done smoke/braise for beef shank (video here) as well as chuck roast with good success, and this method should also work well for oxtail. Let us know what you end up trying and how it turns out. And as for the skin, my processor has never left the skin on oxtail.

Spareribs have lots of connective tissue and "really benefit from braising". Do you suggest that I do the same thing with spareribs?

Splinters?! :emoji_astonished:
Wow, now that is a dull bandsaw blade.
Bone dust is one thing and easily removable, but splinters.

Not my saw, every packaged oxtail I've come across has bone splinters and slivers. When you use a saw, you can't cut beetween vertebrae, so you will produce very annoying thin sections of bone that can also be sharp.

I second this. Oxtail is best braising for soup/broth.
I've done smoke/braise for beef shank (video here) as well as chuck roast with good success, and this method should also work well for oxtail. Let us know what you end up trying and how it turns out. And as for the skin, my processor has never left the skin on oxtail.
My speculation is that leaving skin on uncut oxtail could handle drying problems.

Obviously, this is something I shall need to experiment with and report my wife's verdict.

I smoke for 4 hours on the rack in the smoker turn them after two hours and then in a pan with beef broth for another two hours in the smoker covered. I run them at 225 degrees the whole time.
I have never done it whole, always in sections but I also rinse them before I cook them.
I think removing the skin helps to let the smoke get into the meat.
I and my son love them, the better half can't get past the "thought" of It's a tail!

I smoke for 4 hours on the rack in the smoker turn them after two hours and then in a pan with beef broth for another two hours in the smoker covered. I run them at 225 degrees the whole time.
I have never done it whole, always in sections but I also rinse them before I cook them.
I think removing the skin helps to let the smoke get into the meat.
I and my son love them, the better half can't get past the "thought" of It's a tail!
My wife is Caribbean. She adores oxtail.

I’ve never finished ox tails on the smoker, but a couple hours of smoke @225 then into the chili pot for a couple hours turns out great. Never done it whole.

First, I'll second what SmokinEdge SmokinEdge has said about the oxtails and their comparison to ribs. Oxtails are more suited for use in soups and stews.

Second, many, many years ago when I worked in the meat department for a large grocery chain, we never used a saw to cut oxtails. They are easily cut with a knife through the joints between the bones. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to the skin...

For smoking, I treat oxtail slices like beef cheeks. Several hours for color and a little bark, then wrapped (or in a covered foil pan), with some liquid to braise tender, or a pressure finish.
What does a whole oxtail look like? I've smoked whole beef shanks that come out pretty good.
Spareribs have lots of connective tissue and "really benefit from braising". Do you suggest that I do the same thing with spareribs?
Well, if you ever use a wrapped step when cooking your ribs, you are kinda, sorta braising the meat, but only in an ounce or so of liquid.

Give it a shot. Why not? Document what you do and take a lot of pictures. Post your results even if it didn’t work. If it does you might start a trend here like smoking frozen ribs. Trailblazing is fun.

First, I'll second what SmokinEdge SmokinEdge has said about the oxtails and their comparison to ribs. Oxtails are more suited for use in soups and stews.

Second, many, many years ago when I worked in the meat department for a large grocery chain, we never used a saw to cut oxtails. They are easily cut with a knife through the joints between the bones. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to the skin...
It's nice that your store did it right many years ago. Too bad it's not many years ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky