Ox tail stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I purchased a 1/4 cow earlier this year. I requested the tail and no one else wanted it so I got it. I was waiting for the weather to turn cold to make some ox tail stew. I have never cooked with ox tail before so I went with a classic preparation. French style beef bourguignon.

I used a mixed red wine for flavor and it was really good in this dish.

Not a whole lot of meat on the ox tail but it is made up for in collagen and gelatin. This made for a very velvety and pleasant mouth feel to the gravy.
I served the stew with a crusty Italian bread and mashed potatoes.
Really made the mashed potatoes glorious.

It was simply fantastic. I thought I had pics but I don't. Bummer dude. :emoji_disappointed: Will have to ask the wife if she took some.

I will be sure to ask for the ox tail next time I order beef. If you haven't tried ox tail soup or stew, I would highly recommend you give it a try.

JC :emoji_cat:

A while back I made an Oxtail Udon dish.. it was fantastic for reals!! I'm lucky enough I live near a butcher shop and can get oxtail anytime.

1670939312183.png

A while back I made an Oxtail Udon dish.. it was fantastic for reals!! I'm lucky enough I live near a butcher shop and can get oxtail anytime.

View attachment 651065

Ox tail sure doesn't look like much but wow, does it pack a lot of flavor and pleasant textures.

Looks pretty darn good to me also. Our local grocer just started carrying oxtail. I'm gonna have to give it a go this spring.

Point for sure

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
Did you add other meat to the stew or did the tail have enough meat on its own?
I've got one in the freezer and planning to make oxtail soup this winter.

I happen to live near a japanese butcher that has a case full of oxtail. If you can find a butcher it is great. They let me pick out the big ones and have cooked it like osso buco and served it for a holiday meal. If you get the big ones, a person can have enough with two segment. It takes several pots to make enough for 8 people.

Find a japanese butcher!

Did you add other meat to the stew or did the tail have enough meat on its own?
I've got one in the freezer and planning to make oxtail soup this winter.

I used just the tail. Could have used a bit more meat but it was quite satisfying.

I enjoyed some last yr. It was like the best Sunday roast beef ever! I am stocking some up now to try my hand at cooking. I really enjoyed it when I bought it out.

Here is the only pic I got of the :emoji_disappointed: oxtail cook.

Attachments

• oxtail.jpg
    oxtail.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 4
That is fantastic!
Ox Tail is amazing. Wish it was still a cheap cut. If you ever need more meat you can always throw in some cubed up chuck and it will be great still.
The flavor from the bone, collagen, and marrow cannot be beat!

SmokinAl SmokinAl oxtail is a lot like a short rib in a dish but even better because it has more marrow and connective tissue that gives that super rich flavor. Braises, stews, and soups are where they shine!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky