• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Whole hog. Ook

maineman

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2017
I am going to try a whole 69-75 lbs hog on my new RF smoker/cooker. I had planned on doing a pig with the skin and head on but butterflies laying on the rack above the reverse flow plate. I’m having a hard time finding any butcher shops that don’t skin the pig. Can I do a skinned pig like I mentioned above with any success? Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
If you can't get a high enough direct heat over the entire pig to get the skin to cracklins, then the skin will just be a waste except for aesthetics.

maineman

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2017
I think I can get it hit enough...? I really have to dampen the cooker back so I think if I open up the drafts I could get it really hot.
I think a lot of it is about the presentation though. Apple in mouth and the skin peeled back.....
If I do one that’s already skinned is there any special I need to do? Put foil on it, etc...? Thanks much

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
If you want to eat the ribs and tenderloins, I advise putting foil beneath them during the first part of the cook which is body cavity down.
When you flip to finish I suggest that the tenderloins become chef's snacks.

Last edited:

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
I agree with what chilli is saying about protecting the ribs and loin. It’s hard to get the larger shoulders and hams done and not over cook the ribs and loins if you don’t do something to protect them. I have stuffed the cavity with potatoes and onions before to help protect it. Good snacks for sure

maineman

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2017
So if I do a butterfield pig belly down I should put foil over ribs and tenderloins for part of the cook? Sounds like good advice. This will be my first ever whole hog. On a side note my typing is not as bad as it seems, my phone keeps auto correcting to what it thinks I want to say. I’m just too dumb to stop it.....

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Yes, I've made a 3-4 layer thick mat of foil to lay on the grates and block heat. But you'll need to wrap the midsection to protect from the flow of heat.

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
I have also wrapped 2x8 boards in foyal and put them under the rib section to keep them away from the heat but I’m not sure that will help much in a reverse flow smoker

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Skin on whole hog is a lot of work. At least 20 gallons of boiling water to scald and 2-3 people with dull knives to scrape the outer skin layers and the bristles away from the base rind.
I don't know of any local butchers that will go through the scald and scrape process. I'm not sure if that even passes meat inspection these days.

I've done a number of whole hog cooks. None on a reverse flow.
I got pretty good cracklins on a purpose built offset charcoal hog cooker. I prefer them separated from the hog, fat scraped, and baked.

You can get the whole hog appearance (appeal?) with apple in the mouth on a skinned hog. I prefer no mop. My roast master insisted on a sugar and salt slather

If I wanted to save choice meats ... I would butcher the whole hog into shoulders, hams, loins, belly, and ribs.

maineman

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2017
Thanks everyone, looks like I’m going with a skinned hog. I’m planning on injecting with something and dry rubbing then spritzing. While cooking.Bbq sauce will be in the side. Does anyone has a good recipe for either the injection and//or rub they can share? Looking for something spicy and sweat but still have a pork flavor.

maineman

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 3, 2017
I just found a local butcher shop that sells pigs with skin on. I didn’t think to ask when talking with them but does this mean it comes ready to cook or ready to scald? I’m not into scalding it, I remember doing that as a kid....

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.