whole hog head help!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We have always cleaned the heads by removing the eyes and ears and sawing the head in half, removing the brains and then sawing the snouts off just back of the teeth. Dad would then cook the bones of the head and about 1/2 the liver and all the kidneys, heart, and tongue. We then let it cool and then season with salt, pepper, and a little bit of sage and run through the grinder and pack into a blue granite roaster and cook for a couple of hours at about 275. Chill and cut into blocks to serve like a cheeseball on Townhouse crackers. It is also excellent to slice and fry and serve with eggs or on toast. Now I'm hungry.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

My head turned out pretty good i should say. i soaked it for a couple days in apple juice and season salt. I placed the head in my pit but did not remove the ears. I have found out the the wall are extreamly hot so the ears were a black crisp. The skin was nice and crunchy which i saved some for cooking green beans and things in the place of ham hocks. the one thing i wish i had done was to inject the tongue because it was just a little plain. That was my first go at a tongue and i thought it was pretty good to say the least. If i get a chance to do it again i think i will put a dry rub on the outside and do a little injecting.

Thanks for all the comments, P.S. some were really
icon_smile.gif

First time I saw whole hog heads was in Houston. Later found out that it a Mexican delight to oven back or smoke these things. I personally haven't tried it but willing to if I happen to run across it.

Yep they sell heads at my local Carneacia (Mexican Butcher) just down the road here in Houston. The local Mexicans steam / boil them for the meat in pork tamales. Bet you didn't need to know that hu?
Jimbo

Not to be gross but how do they kill the pig if you are able to eat the head and brains? Obviously they don't shoot it. Do they just slit it's throat and let it bleed out?
icon_eek.gif

PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif
People please! I just got out of the hospital! I'm still eatin all my food outa da blender! Now I'm scared cause I didn't see what wen't in it in the first place!

I don't know, open the smoker and see him lookin back at ya? Kinda like cookin the family dog or somethin. Just can't quit get the stomach to go along with that, well yet anyway.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

To each his own I guess!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati!  They sell whole heads...fresh hams (Uncooked /Unsmoked/Uncured) Jowels and feet!

No matter what you want to put in a rub from every continent in the world!....They have it in STOCK!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky