Whole ham,Virginia ham.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wiperhunter

Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Utah
I had a family member order a ship me a Virginia whole leg ham. I am told to draw the salt out of it by boiling in water and beer of a couple of days.
I'm wondering if any body on here has any suggestions.

Soaking in cold water in the largest container you have with changing the water 2 times a day for 1-3 days....Yes. If you boil it that long it will just fall apart. Not good eats. You can then smoke or roast it a 325°F to 150-155°F. Figure 20 minutes per pound. You can serve or glaze as desired and bake in a 375°F oven until the glaze melts and caramelizes a bit...JJ

Anything besides water to soak?? Will beer help bring the salt out?
I heard potatoes in the water will help.

Any liquid will work. I believe the potato thing only works during cooking like if you were to simmer the ham in water...JJ

dont know if its to late, but like jimmy said h2o soak in a cooler is the best way to go. after, i cook ham same as jimmy then on the last hour cover with good mustard, brown sugar, crushed ginger snap cookies and then spritz down with jim beam. DONT use anything over 80 prf. or you could blow up your oven! results are you will have no left over ham. remember if you do this to remove the rind/skin first. good eats to ya

Just use water changed regularly to draw out the salt. You could use beer I suppose but you would need a lot of it and it would be a waste of good beer. Whatever you use avoid anything with too high an alcohol content or anything with artificial sweeteners. Some sweeteners can result in some very strange flavours developing. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky