Whole Chicken on The Mini

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigtrain74

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 23, 2009
Springfield, Ma
Whelp, it's time for me to get my first full smoke one the Mini WSM today. They are calling for rain tomorrow and Monday, so let's get started!

Started yesterday with a brine which consisted of:
  • 1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
  • Paprika

Took the bird out this morning and rinsed it off thoroughly. Then fired up the mini.

Rubbed the bid with a pre-made chicken run I get from my local butcher.

See you in a few hours!

How many smokes do you have on it? Mine has so much gunk built up that it seals so tight I have a hard time getting the lid off. Maybe hit it with some veggie oil when you smoke and it will seal up better.

How many smokes do you have on it? Mine has so much gunk built up that it seals so tight I have a hard time getting the lid off. Maybe hit it with some veggie oil when you smoke and it will seal up better.
I'm like Case my lid has enough stuff built up that it barely wants to come undone. Get a few more cooks in it and you should be golden.

Last edited:
Yeah it will leak a bit until younger tit good and seasoned, then you'll be complaining about not getting the lid off. I use whatever stick I can find to scrape a bit off but not to much that it doesn't seal. Even with a leaky lid the mini is pretty darn Rick steady to control.

Now where's the grand finale pictures??? We want to see that bird!

I've had my lid stick as well. Used some citrus cleaner on the lip, which does the trick. Mine also sealed up after several smokes.

I am not thrilled the way the mobile version of the website puts the pics at the small size. I don't think there is a way to change that when using my iPhone. Does anyone else know if it's possible?

Use tapatalk. It loads them much larger. As for tee leaky lid, even if it were never to seal up it's not a problem. It won't get combustion air from the lid so it doesn't affect temp control, and there is no "loss" of smoke. the whole thing is full of smoke, what's coming out the lid is just kind of the overflow.

Reactions: bigtrain74
Great looking bird!

Like MD says try tapatalk. Since getting my new phone I've had issues getting photos to upload using the mobile version. Not sure if it's an iPhone issue or the mobile site issue or a combination. So Ive been using tapatalk when adding photos.

good looking smoke, you have got to be proud of that...good job
yahoo.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky