Whole chick on the traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matt r

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Long Island, New York
Here's the rundown...
Whole roaster is brining in salt,brown sugar, and a bunch of spices as we speak
Tomorrow I'm going to take it out of the brine midmorning and let it sit in the fridge a few hours to develop a pellicle.
Then a little coat of oil
It will go on the traeger at 375 till it hits 165.
Rest
Eat
Any tips, ideas, or suggestions?
Thanks guys!!

375 is a bit hot but if ya watch the bird you'll be able to manage. Pull your bird before 165 because at that high temp you're bird is going to travel even more after you pull it. I would guess 5 to 7 degrees. Let it set covered in foil 20 mins before slicing, so some of those juices can re-constitute back in the meat. A good pellicle you already mentioned is important but really less so this one because of the high temp. Actually at 375 you are considered grilling and not smoking I believe.

You can rub the inside the cavity and it will do the most good there. I would only use salt and pepper after lightly rubbing oil on the birds skin. Let it taste like chicken.

Matt you sound pretty much like you know what you are doing already, just remember that the IT is going to travel on you. And as hard as it is to do, a 20 min. rest makes a huge difference.

Good luck and I look forward to some pictures of your accomplishment.

Reactions: Thomas Sheppard
Foamheart I'm here to learn from guys like you so I absolutely appreciate your kind words and tips!
So let me pick your brain a bit...I got this recipe from the Traeger website. I agree that 375 seems high! How would you do it? Maybe 225 low and slow? Will the pellicle give me some crispness at that temp?
The traeger is new and I've already ruined a brisket, a pork loin, and a Turkey breast...I'm looking for to redeem myself in my family's eyes with a good bird!

Reactions: Thomas Sheppard
Foamheart I'm here to learn from guys like you so I absolutely appreciate your kind words and tips!
So let me pick your brain a bit...I got this recipe from the Traeger website. I agree that 375 seems high! How would you do it? Maybe 225 low and slow? Will the pellicle give me some crispness at that temp?
The traeger is new and I've already ruined a brisket, a pork loin, and a Turkey breast...I'm looking for to redeem myself in my family's eyes with a good bird!

Matt I am a southern boy, we never had crisp chicken skin, well unless you consider the fried chicken batter....LOL I don't believe I ever had a baked chicken until after college and in the service and they always came with mashed potatoes and that nasty creamed chicken gravy. Fried and grilled was the only way we had chicken. And I can't remember ever having crisp smoked chicken skin in my life. Long ago I had to learn how not to have rubbery skin, but that was just one of the drawbacks of smoking them. Now with a good pellicle, I no longer get rubbery skin, but the end result is not crisp either.

I have always suggested to new smokers that you first master the ability to smoke a nekkid chicken. If you can offer guests friends and family a delicious juicy chicken, then what you will know you can apply on way or another to any meat.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/nekkid-chicken-foamheart.156212/

Its simple, its easy and its cheap. You can afford to learn with them. I assume since you've pulled a recipe from the Traeger website you are using a Traeger. I only ask because if you were using something else which is a small electric vice a traegar it makes a difference in cooking. With Traegar you're starting with a Cadillac instead of an old ford pickup truck.

Each pit has its own soul, its own sweet spots and its own limitations. These are why you do nekkid chickens to get the feel of your smoker. By this holiday season you'll laugh thinking about worrying about smokes.

A very wise gentleman used to say the most important thing to learn about smoking food, is patience. I have to agree. When you have a problem in life and you worry about it does the worrying help anything or does it only make it worse? The same thing about smoking. 90% of smoking is all in the preparation and another 5% in resting after cooking. Does that tell ya anything about smoking? Its about relaxing, cutting the grass, weeding the flower bed, drinking a cold longneck or that good single malt and enjoying the day. Play in the yard with the kids, keep your bride busy with the sides at first...LOL Seriously that is smoking. You don't need to lift the lid and check anything. Try not to do it.

Nekkid chicken is quick and easy. Probably 2 hours, maybe. have you got a remote meat thermometer and checked its calibration? After 30 to 45 mins with the lid closed with the meat on the grill, then insert the probe. From then own you just watch the temp on the receiver unit. then about 155 to 160, pull your bird. Then let it set. Act like you are some great hard working genius for the family for making such a fine bird so you get a lot of appreciation because they'll figure you out before long. LOL

When you are happy nekkid, try a brined bird! Change the wood type, so many things you can do.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/basic-brined-smoked-chicken.152772/

Its all about enjoying the day or night and getting a good free meal out of it too.. How can you not enjoy that.

Good luck and take some pictures cause I know you'll you are going to nail it.

Oh and BTW for years and years I'd throw away loins, they were just too dry. All white meat is dry no matter how well you cook it, that is till ya learn about a brine. Save that to try for the 4th, by then you'll have mastered chickens.

BTW if you have not signed up for the E/Cooking course, Its well worth your time reading 'em. They take 5 days I believe. They e mail 'em to you and they are free. They are great reference for all meats.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/5-day-smoking-basics-ecourse.49495/page-19#post-1841441

Last edited:
You, sir, are a master! Everything you've said here has resonated with me, and I'm gonna try and do you proud!
So it's 3pm NY time. I'm going to put the bird on at about 4 pm at 240, pull her at 155-160 IT, rest her for 20 minutes and eat.
Hopefully I'll then post a picture and telling you it was great!!

Well the bird was pretty good tasting! Plenty juicy and moist...but it was a bit....rubbery. Almost like it was undercooked, but it wasn't. Is that the brine that caused that consisted? WAS it under done?
Sorry my pics didn't happen.

Well the bird was pretty good tasting! Plenty juicy and moist...but it was a bit....rubbery. Almost like it was undercooked, but it wasn't. Is that the brine that caused that consisted? WAS it under done?
Sorry my pics didn't happen.

The meat was rubbery or the skin? What IT was it when you pulled it? What exactly was your brine, with amounts. And exactly how long did it set in it? Were the juices all clear when you cut it up?

I brined it in a gallon of water 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup of brown sugar. I didn't boil it though, not sure that matters.
Stayed in brine overnight, but definitely not 24 hours .Maybe 12.
Pulled at 160
Juices were clear.

I brined it in a gallon of water 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup of brown sugar. I didn't boil it though, not sure that matters.
Stayed in brine overnight, but definitely not 24 hours .Maybe 12.
Pulled at 160
Juices were clear.

Your brine is OK, brine time is fine, but mostly if the juices were clear you did it perfectly. The perfect place to pull any meat is just one second after it is safe. You get the most juice and its generally the most tender. Sometimes you have to adjust exactly where your prefered IT is. Me, I do not like Ham at 145 IT, but its that perfect temperature, I just don't like the texture of the ham meat at that IT. Course its perfect foor beef steaks.

Now you have a good place to start zeroing in your exact preferences. Remember you are always your biggest critic. Next chicken smoke, add 5 mins to pull time. Another thing now is to start start trying flavor modifiers in that brine. Garlic and Onion are traditional modifiers. You can sneak in herbs in the cavity or fruits. Best turkey I ever did I put apricots in the cavity. BDSkelly does citrus! If you excited the family with a good meal, that's the best you are gonna do. There will be that day were everything is perfect, and perfectly delicious, and all the family and friends are in a good mood, the weathers right, and a general feeling of peace and good will to all. Dude you only gonna get one of those days. Generally we are all happy just to get to smoke and enjoy a great day cause there will always be something not perfect.

Thats why we all enjoy smoking, we are all hoping to hit that perfect day off. Even a bad day with rain, the inlaws, the dag ran away and little johnny broke his arm on the swing set, if you are smoking it sort of saves that whole day. LOL

BTW where are those pictures? You need to try a couple a turkeys when you are happy with the chickens. You want to have them mastered just in case your family asks you for one for the winter holidays. Let them think of it. Plus you can start learning about injecting. See its always something new.

I think you are now to the tweaking zone. Don't laugh at me but I highly recommend you start a log, not wood but a journal of each of your smokes. You will always have things you want to change from your previous smoke, what you want to try-why, what you expect to gain -why, a general synopsis of all your conditions from that days smoke, etc etc etc..... Put it up high somewhere and you'll appreciate that you enter into it. I had a site with the logs I used but now its gone. <sighs> Life is ever evolving.

Words to live by! Thanks Foam for allllllll your excellent help! This has been a masterclass for me.
I've been smoking for a few years, mainly on the weber kettle, using a Slow and Sear, and have had pretty good success. Its just getting this damned Traeger to bend to my will that's messing with me. ALSO, and more importantly, I need a better Thermometer. My Maverick broke, and the regular meat therm Ive been using is just spotty. Next purchase is a good therm.
As to your other points, I actually do keep a journal on this stuff and find it immensely helpful.
Ive done a turkey, on an MES a year ago, and it was amazingly good. Ive done a few breasts since then, with varying success. Something to work on, for sure.
I love your philosophy, and took it to heart yesterday with a day hanging by the pit, playing with dogs and kids and drinking beer. Life could be worse!

Reactions: foamheart
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky