Who Makes Their Own Seasonings (Rubs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I mainly make my own rub. I've made a lot from mixes I found here and on web for a good few years. Last year I was bored and ordered some of the rubs I see on some of the YouTube channels I watch. Glad I did, have found some pretty good ones.

So far have discarded three of them, too much damn salt! But try and move on.

Reactions: JC in GB
I mix most of mine along with making salad dressings. Yes many people share their favorites here and many other sites and if I think it might fit my taste buds I give it a try. Many websites can be found to "copy cat" close to common brand items to make my own.

Like you I am not a big salt person but more importantly anything with MSG really messes me up for 12-24 hours and is included in a lot of commercial rubs and dressings.

I usually find a recipe that is close to what I have been putting together for my taste buds, like "Jeff's Rubs" for example but sometimes I try a little twist on the next batch to see how it works for me to fine tune it for my taste buds.

Yep, I have a cabinet full of spices that have saved me a lot of $ long term from not buying a Commercial brand, but just mixing a small batch of a close recipe and finding out I may not have not cared for it.

I see you are in North Texas, I have found Atwoods Farm and Ranch Supplys around here usually has a surprising large selection of seasonings at very reasonable prices if you happen to have one in your area to start with, Amazon is my choice if you need larger quantities.

Good luck to you finding what fits best for you.

Was wondering how many people make their own and would have one to share with the group?
Brian, I just posted this pic in the Superbowl Throwdown thread as it's one of the prizes I offered up for the winner. This is a selection of 8 rubs I keep on hand. Six of them are mine and U can share the recipe if you want me to. The Original and Texas versions are Jeff's and I cannot post the recipes for those.
01.jpg

Robert

Wow that will make a great prize! I putting your taco together next for a taco night coming up soon. Thanks Robert.

With the exception of Old Bay, I make everything myself.
A couple thoughts. First off is for most day to day cooking I don't use blends. I'll add each herb or spice individually to taste, adjusting as needed. That helps a lot in dealing with different brands or freshness, which can be a HUGE difference.

For mixing to recipies, I've found you basically have to use the same brand of each spice, and weigh them. Volume measuring is too inaccurate. And as I said before quality varies wildly. I have been buying freeze dried spices from a sausage supply, and some such as sage and nutmeg seem to be almost twice as potent as the grocery store brands

I've been making my own ever since I joined the forum and found all the recipes.
I can also make them low/no sodium. I've used jj's Pastami rub for years and recently I've been using tx smoker tx smoker 's taco seasoning...

Reactions: JC in GB
I make my own rub mainly for spare ribs.
about 1/2 of what I end up with is store bought cajun mix then I go to the cupboard and add (not measured) onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, a touch of chili powder, black pepper, and my secret ingredient ground cinnamon (gives it a little bit of heat and you can tell something is there but cant identify it. the cajun mix has more than enough salt in it and I try to not add anymore salt.

I have been making my own, but planning on weaning myself from rubs for a while and using just S&P.
Been doing some reading how less rub = more smoke.

Reactions: RRR and JC in GB
When shopping for seasonings I usual look for something that does not have salt as first ingredient. I have never had the knack for making my own. I have a hatch pepper seasoning that I have tried to duplicate but just can't get it. I have received a couple recipes for forum members that where gratuitous to share with me. I know a lot of these self made seasonings have a lot of time and effort put into them and are closely guarded which I totally understand. If it was easy ...... Was wondering how many people make their own and would have one to share with the group?
I only maake my own. Always have a simple SPG in an old spice shaker. for pork, ribs, butt I usually whip up a frankenstein starting with brown sugar, paprika, onion powde, cayenne (to taste). When my shaker gets low i wet a finger and taste, then add to it as my whim. I never write it down. rely on senile citizen brain.

IMG-4612.jpg

I have to make my own a small bottle is like $20.00 here. If it is shipped from the US.
My last bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's cost me $18.00.
I am allergic to MSG so found a recipe for something similar to Sweet Baby Rays and do not add MSG. I spiced it up a little with the Colemans powdered hot mustard (Chinease egg roll hot mustard), but without that it is pretty close to SBR. If you have the "stuff" or something you can substitute you have locally, you might give it a try and fine tune it to see if it fits your taste buds.

This batch is just the right amount to fill an empty 36oz ketchup squeeze bottle for easy storage in the frig.

2 cups dark brown sugar
3 cups ketchup
½ cup molasses
½ cup pineapple juice
½ cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon Coleman's hot mustard (Optional)
4 teaspoons smoked paprika (I use regular paprika)
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
8-10 drops Liquid Smoke

Combine all ingredients bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved. Simmer longer if you want a thicker sauce. (I usually do mine about 45 min.)

IF you do not have Liquid Smoke, I would think a large flat pan in the smoker to thicken, stirring frequently might add smoke similar.

Better than store bottled stuff in my opinion. Good luck to you.

Cheap Sam’s club paprika, 1 cup
Turbinado sugar 1/2 cup (if for brisket, 1 cup) 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup onion powder, 1/4 cup garlic granules. 1/4 cup cumin. 1/4 cup restaurant grind pepper
One package of unsweetened cherry koolaid. Shake well…

I have an assortment of dry rubs that I either get as gifts or buy when we get out and about. Last year I found this book at a used book store.
3B1C0FCD-5C4E-4D52-A4D7-FB764519FB8D.jpeg

I also discovered that I can buy bulk spices by weight at a local grocery store. So I have been trying some of the simple recipes out. I am happy with the results so far. Still a lot to learn.

My Go To Rub Man Cave Dry Rub (sweet)
1 cup kosher salt
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup tang orange drink
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons ground coco
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves

Reactions: Jonok
My Go To Rub Man Cave Dry Rub (sweet)
1 cup kosher salt
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup tang orange drink
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons ground coco
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves
I have to check out Tang as an ingredient. That’s a great idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky