Who Got A Snow Day?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Well we got little round BB's of ice falling from the sky this morning, (shows to go ya how often these folks see sleet) Its not cold enough to stay on the ground but the bridges and mailboxes and steps are all pretty slicker so the gave a pass to everyone today. So far the high here has been 32. Its pretty funny, they were supposed to come install the new furnace and central unit today. They can't make it till Monday, maybe....LOL

Woke up this AM to a temp inside the house of 61 degrees, outside 31, thermostat's set at 72. And ya see I thought I was getting smart getting my furnace/AC fixed before the summer rush....LOL

So after Md's southern dish thread, I am sitting here with hot coffee AND fresh hot sweet tater pie! I may have to take off my shorts and put on long pants tonight. I wonder if I have any.......Hmmmmm.....

So are you working and if not whatcha cooking?

Last edited:
I went to work this morning no problems, left a little early just in case.  Throughout the day they started closing every overpass and bridge.  I have to cross the Amite to get home.  The bridge was closed, of course.

Had to call the wife to meet me at the bridge in Port Vincent as I had to park on one side, walk across to meet her on the other side.

Never seen anything like this with the state/parishes closing everything down.  Only two ways out of Baton Rouge and both go east.  I feel for those who were passing through, though. 

I went to work this morning no problems, left a little early just in case.  Throughout the day they started closing every overpass and bridge.  I have to cross the Amite to get home.  The bridge was closed, of course.

Had to call the wife to meet me at the bridge in Port Vincent as I had to park on one side, walk across to meet her on the other side.

Never seen anything like this with the state/parishes closing everything down.  Only two ways out of Baton Rouge and both go east.  I feel for those who were passing through, though. 
I know it did it back in the mid 70's, had snow then! Then again in I believe 81. Then I left again... LOL

Bertholets still at Port Vincent? Long ago They had the most gigantic humungus steak you ever saw. It was nearly as big as all those famous truck stop steaks...LOL But there's was tender. Brought it out on one of those big seafood platter plates and it hung off all the way around and they had to bring you side on a separate plate. I ate one in High School on a bet.........

Anyway it happens just not very often. It will definitely effect the crawfish now for Easter.

Hey Foam

Really funny, but its plus 13 here today--Thats roughly 65 degrees F, Water just pouring off the roof..  And thats the last week of Jan in Alberta--go figure

Gary
This is pretty unusual for us. This year will be nice cause it killed all the bugs. But my little orange, big Satsuma, and all the roses don't look happy at all! It will really mess with the crawfish this year.

I know it did it back in the mid 70's, had snow then! Then again in I believe 81. Then I left again... LOL

Bertholets still at Port Vincent? Long ago They had the most gigantic humungus steak you ever saw. It was nearly as big as all those famous truck stop steaks...LOL But there's was tender. Brought it out on one of those big seafood platter plates and it hung off all the way around and they had to bring you side on a separate plate. I ate one in High School on a bet.........

Anyway it happens just not very often. It will definitely effect the crawfish now for Easter.
Berthelot's moved a few years ago to Hwy 30 in St Gabriel.  Dutch's, which used to be in French Settlement moved in a couple of years ago.  Never ate at Berthelot's but there are a couple of parking signs with the name on them still...lol.

Not sure if I'm related to the original Berthelot or not, hence the "Bert" in my screen name.  Too many of us out here to know for sure.

Snow Day???

I'm off every day, but this Tuesday was the first day my Son's employees didn't work. It was mostly the 9" of fresh snow, but the high winds and the 8* Below Zero didn't help. Not exactly the kind of weather you want to climb towers in.

This morning was the first day we started out in the morning above Zero, since Monday.

Also got a little more snow yesterday, adding up to a total of about 42" so far this Winter.

Heat wave here right now----17* (above Zero for a change)

Stay warm guys!!!

Bear

No snow herw in East Texas but I smoked a brisket and had to put an electric blanket around my smoker!
drool.gif

As long as you are not Johnny .... but he'd be from Gonzales.
Couldn't say if I'm related to him or not, but I do know of whom you are speaking of.  I wasn't born nor raised around these parts but my dad was and his side of the family is all over down here.

As to the "snow day", I woke up early this morning planning for the weather.  Got to work to find the parking lot empty except for two car, thinking they were left overnight.  Called the boss to find out what was going on.  Through his yawns he let me know that they weren't going to open up until 12 noon.  I let him know to find someone else to cover me as it wasn't worth my time to drive back home, over the icy roads, just to turn around to come back to open.

Couldn't say if I'm related to him or not, but I do know of whom you are speaking of.  I wasn't born nor raised around these parts but my dad was and his side of the family is all over down here.

As to the "snow day", I woke up early this morning planning for the weather.  Got to work to find the parking lot empty except for two car, thinking they were left overnight.  Called the boss to find out what was going on.  Through his yawns he let me know that they weren't going to open up until 12 noon.  I let him know to find someone else to cover me as it wasn't worth my time to drive back home, over the icy roads, just to turn around to come back to open.
 Hmmmm... coonazz with an attitude, who'd ever thought that could happen..... ROFLMAO!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky