Whitefish smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Temagami

Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
Got a good bunch of Whitefish to smoke. I have a tried to smoke a few times some results ok, some terrible.
Internet is terrible, so I thought I would go to the group that made me happy with my bacon.
Any advice on brining, smoke time and temp would be great.
Thanks in advance, my skills aren't advanced but I have had success with some fish, Salamis, bacon(thanks), and this year did some venison landjaeger.

Try this thread ...

Try this
You can (you should) add some cure#1 to the brine. A tablespoon per gallon of water. It helps the texture, flavor, and safety.

Personally, i dont think cod-type fish are good for smoking.
Mackerel, mullet, salmon (fatty fish) are my preference.
Cods: fry, grill, gumbo

Good luck. Post some pics.

Last edited:
Maybe I was misunderstood, I am talking about fresh water lake Whitefish.
I do also have a big Lake trout that wouldn't release that I need to do, definitely will need smoking. I have had smoked lake Whitefish before that was good, just haven't had success.

Have never worked with Whitefish so I have no idea if a dry or wet brine is best. What other fish is Whitefish similar to?

Have never worked with Whitefish so I have no idea if a dry or wet brine is best. What other fish is Whitefish similar to?
Whitefish is a white fleshed flaky fish when cooked. Texture wise similar to eel .
I have and do enjoy it baked or fried as well.
Brines for them always seem to be wet and just to add flavour as the fish itself doesn't have much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky