Which cure to use with bank form tsp X

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streetguy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Has any body used a starter culture when making semi dry cured sausage? If so which cure sid be best 1 or 2?

Long term dry cure requires the use if cure #2.
Yes I forgot to add after 2 or3 days of fermenting I planned on smoking it to an internal temp of 155. Tried to edit the subject to bactofern.

Yes I forgot to add after 2 or3 days of fermenting I planned on smoking it to an internal temp of 155. Tried to edit the subject to bactofern.
So there is no cure in the sausages? Did you ferment at or above room temperature? If so, I would not take a chance eating the sausages, even if hot smoked. The cure is used to prevent botulism...you 'may' be OK...the bactoferm 'may' have populated the sausages and prevented colonization by bad microbes. You have no way to know for sure and you only get botulism once.

Use cure 1 . I just did some Summer sausage with TSP-X . Hung over night ( thats all in needed color was good ), smoked to 152 , then hung at 55 degrees for 4 days . Comes out good .

Havent made any thing yet was just see if It could be done.

Here's three different smokes , all use TSP-X hung over night . Smoked to 152 .
Hung 1 night post smoke ,
20181219_130301.jpg

Hung 7 days post smoke ,
20190114_083108.jpg

Hung 4 days post smoke ,
20190316_222247.jpg

Chop saw at what temp did you hang pre smoked and post smoked and where did you hang it?

Chop saw at what temp did you hang pre smoked and post smoked and where did you hang it?
I used TSP-X starter culture that works with temps around 60 degrees . I keep my house around 64 , so for the pre smoke over night , I just hang it in my kitchen .
After I smoked it I hang it in the basement . Stays 55 to 60 down there in the colder months .
What culture do you have ? They ferment at different temps .

I have TSP-X Did you use a coarse grind? Do you use any fermento and dextrose?

I use a pre mix from Owens BBQ . I don't use Fermento , I have some but don't care for it . I add some dextrose to water I use for the starter culture and red wine for the liquid in the sausage . That's enough sugar to feed the starter .

I do 1 grind thru I think a 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate .

So because you use the bacteria you don't need to fermento to start things fermenting.

Pretty sure fermento doesnt actually ferment. Just makes it taste like it.

Reactions: indaswamp
So because you use the bacteria you don't need to fermento to start things fermenting.
Adams right . Fermento does not ferment sausage . It makes an attempt to make it taste fermented , I just don't think it does .
Yes use the starter culture you don't need the fermento .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky