which casing to purchanse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robertsj22

Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
im a complete newb to sausage making, just got a stuffer and now im looking at making some sweet italian sausage, and some breakfast sausage links. Also maybe some bratwursts. All mixed venison and deer. So im confused which kind of casing is best

Welcome... Im a fan of Natural Casing. Best quality, price and easy to use, the casing is on a plastic strip/tube that slide over the stuffer horn easily, comes from the company below. They explain why they are better. Then when you follow their link to Hog Casing, there is detailed info on what Size to use for the type of sausage you want to make....JJ

Hey I was a sausage newbie just a short while back. I use natural hog casings for my brats, Italian, kielbasa. I use natural sheep casings for small breakfast sausages. I use the mahogany collagen casings for snack sticks, I'm still playing around with which ones for the sticks. Check out Waltons the have a lot of information. They have many videos on YouTube.

Have fun, make some tasty mistakes.
RG

Started off buying from local butcher when 1st started with this addiction. Tried both sleeved & not, definitely easier with sleeve, but increases the cost.
Have been buying my hanks from LEM & haven’t had any issues.
Rinse & soak casings, you’ll be fine, as they’re packed in salt.
Good luck!!

I've gone several routes. For me, the small added cost of Syracuse greatly out weighs the Frustration, Aggravation and Explicatives hurled at other brand casings I've tried...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky