Which butt do you prefer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Butt with bone or without

• With Bone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Without Bone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bone in here too. As Capt says, a good indicator of doneness.

Steve, Someone here has this in their salutation. Very funny. Flower Pot Smoker guy I recall.

sorry to say flyin', you're going to have to change your avitar! being a die hard PSU fan, i despise all big 10 teams (especially michigan and ohio state...which doesn't work to well for me being stationed in buckeye territory)
icon_evil.gif
!!!!!! haha, just messing w/ ya. i was actually hoping they would have won the rose bowl last year.

and yes, i like big butts and i cannot lie, but all you other brothers can't deny either!!!!

Bone in all the way! for 2 reasons.
1) Boneless is more expensive
2) Bones pack plenty of callogen (pig jello, the juicy stuff that makes butts yummy)

Bone in !

We used to say, "The closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat".

So, no bone?----Not as sweet.

Not the original meaning, but this IS a family site!

Bearcarver

So I see it it s pretty much unanimous for with the bone.... The score is 142 to 15. I am curious about those who prefer without the bone. why that preference?

Bone in. Aside from the flavor issue and what that adds to the drippings, I figure that by removing the bone and tying the meat back together you're just giving bacteria a chance to get to the middle of the meat - which I don't want on a slow smoke on a big piece of meat!
icon_wink.gif

Bone in all the way here! Back when I was just starting this obsession, about 6 years ago, went into the most popular butcher shop around here to get some bone-in pork butt. Butcher tells me "We don't get it that way, what you want that for?"

I go "Can you order me some?"

"Nope. Use boneless, it's better."

I have not set foot in that attitudinal shop since. And I'm better for it.

The one on Shakira or perhaps Jen Annison.
biggrin.gif

For smoking meat purposes bone in for flavour.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky