Which Beef for my first smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

torchrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Ok, I am almost ready to do my first smoke and have been reading through many great posts with QView. However, being a newbie, is there a particular cut of beef you recommend starting with? I am smoking with a very heavy steel smoker with side firebox.

chuckie (chuck roast) for beef to pull.

top or bottom round, or even a sirloin tip roast for sliced beef

I would suggest a chuck roast and a sirloin tip you'd have two different cuts with different temps and for me different spices. I'd do the sirloin tip with just salt, pepper and garlic powder and take it to 135-140 and slice it thin for sandwiches. The chuck roast I would use some additional spices and take it to 190 for slicing or around 205 for chopping. I don't pull beef we prefer the chop on beef

If you really want to do beef, get a chuckie or brisket - don't fear the beast!
If it's your first smoke, I would go with a pork butt - they are ery forgiving.
What ever you decide on, have fun, take your time, and enjoy.

+1 .......
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks Guys. Great info. I think I mat start with a Pork Butt. Ih ave done them before on the gas grill and they came out pretty good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky