whey protein isolate vs soy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gnatboy911

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Western, CO
Hey Sausage experts...I'm looking at making Len Poli's Hotdog recipe. It calls for Whey Protein Isolate. Is that the same thing as the soy protein concentrate? These additives/binders have me all confused. I've never made emulsified sausages before but I want to try it out.

Thanks!

OK since nobody else is chiming in I will comment. Obviously whey and soy protein are very
different things, you probably figured that out already but for all practical purposes they
do the same thing. They are just binders. So if you have one or the other use it, or choose
Which one you want and go from there. I use soy. Following recipes word for word isn’t always
necessary when making sausage. It can be intimidating sometimes with all the strange
Ingredients but once you get used to everything, it really is pretty simple.

Cal

I do alot of looking and reading on Poli's site . In that formula the whey is used to help with texture and taste , not as a binder . The nfdm is used as a binder . The phosphates ( Amesphos ) helps emulsify and with texture .

Soy protein

This ingredient is used to prevent weight loss and shrinkage to products being processed in the smokehouse, by helping to retain the natural juices (moisture) in the meat. This product also helps to bind the sausage together and can be use in meat products such as burgers to retain the natural juices from cooking out. Although not generally used in fresh sausages it may be added with good results.

Whey/Soy protein isolate is pretty much fermento type with a skim milk powder and a sweet taste. This can hold more liquid than SPC and will also bind.

Hope this helps some

Thank you guys for your info. I'm going to order some of the needed ingredients. Hopefully they get here next week and I can give it a go before I go back to work. Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky