Where'd the smoke ring go?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mknese

Original poster
Jul 24, 2016
I smoked a brisket yesterday and there was hardly any smoke ring. Any thoughts why?

Smoked it On What and what kind of Fuel? We could use some more detail on your prep and procedure...JJ

On a UDS with a mix of lump charcoal and pecan wood. It was injected, Tatonka rub, then Earl Gray rub. Smoked at 225 for 4 hours to 165*. Wrapped it in foil and put it back on to 197*.

Was the Injection and both rubs part of your typical procedure? Best guess would be one or a combination of those inhibited the Ring formation...JJ

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. This is a new method.

you know what......I have had tri-tips do this to me. I can have 5 or 6 in a smoker with all having the same seasoning and same fire and smoke yet there will be one with no ring and the rest all have it. It is just the way it is relating to that particular cows tissues. 

I also have noticed with just pecan that the smoke ring on beef is very minimal. When I use a mixture of pecan and cherry or pecan and kiawe the smoke ring is more pronounced. Ireally don't care if there's a smoke ring or not, as long as the flavor is there.

Cherry on beef huh.....I made that mistake once by using nothing but cherry. Was bad.....very very bad!!

Cherry on beef huh.....I made that mistake once by using nothing but cherry. Was bad.....very very bad!!
I smoke with cherry pretty much all the time and have never had any problems.
Cherry seems to give a decent smoke ring with brisket. And gives a milder smoke flavor than hickory.

I did use pecan in an old UDS but I don't remember how pronounced the smoke ring was if any.
That's why I should probably be logging all my smokes.

I love cherry....on pretty much everything, beef included....what was so bad about your experience with it? what kind of cooker?
yeahthat.gif

I have never had anything bad about cherry. Nice mild smoke, gives an excellent color. It is one of my go to woods for everything. Never had any bad flavor or any complaints from those that have had it.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky