Where to get mesh or metal for a charcoal grate

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by waytoodeep03, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. waytoodeep03

    waytoodeep03 Fire Starter

    I want to know where can I get a mesh that can hold lump charcoal heat?
    Currently I use the grate which came with the unit but I find smaller pieces of lump fall right through the grate.

    Can something like this be bought at lowes or do I have to go to a weld shop?
  2. pineywoods

    pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

    Some Lowes carry them and so do some Tractor Supply stores
  3. the dude abides

    the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    You can get some expanded metal at most home improvment stores. Just make sure it's not galvanized. Another version I've seen is to get another rack like the one that you already have and turn the grates 90 degrees from each other. It'll create a more mesh like base and still give you plenty of airflow.
  4. pineywoods

    pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

    Yea I guess I should have said you'd find the wire mesh material not a pre-made charcoal basket that I'm aware of
  5. beer-b-q

    beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

    Check your area for metal salvage yards and you can probably get what you want and save a bunch of money...

    I noticed you have not stopped in Roll Call, you might want to do that and tell us a little about yourself and your equipment, so everyone can give you a proper welcome...
  6. rickw

    rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    The extra grate is a very good idea. You could also line the bottom with briquettes and put the lump on top preventing the lump from falling through.
  7. raceyb

    raceyb Smoking Fanatic

    VERY Good advice. Heating galvanized metal is not good around food or lungs.
  8. captdave57

    captdave57 Newbie

    if you can find some cast iron grating at a junk yard, that would last forever. like they have on the street.
  9. rivet

    rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    What kind of unit do you have? There are many off-the-shelf type bowls pr baskets you can buy that may fit....it all depends on your smoker.
  10. lump fan

    lump fan Newbie

  11. valleypoboy

    valleypoboy Smoke Blower

    Look for or ask for expanded steel at big home stores, look near the sliding doors or bulk steel and aluminum rods. Mine had it, but I overlooked it at least 3 times because it was stood up and slid into a slot only a couple inches wide. It's labeled to be used for a screen door protector or BBQ. You'll have to cut it to shape, unless you luck out and buy the exact right size. I bought 24" x 24" cut the corners and folded the sides. There are pictures in one of the Oklahoma Joe's threads in here.

Share This Page