Where to find large cut corned beef?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by superdave, Jan 28, 2014.

1. superdave

superdave Smoking Fanatic

Where would I start looking for a large cut of corned beef? i.e. something larger than the small packs at the grocery store.

2. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Maybe try a local butcher shop ??

3. raastros2

raastros2 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

might have to get a whole packer brisket and brine it yourself

4. superdave

I've seen some guys post that they bought CB packers and wondered where they might have found those.

5. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

IF you update your profile to show your general location we can help you out more. The local to my area (PNW) restaurant supply store Cash and Carry has whole corned beef packers. My only other option is from a local butcher that brines his own. I dont buy them as I brine my own corn beef using Pops Brine

6. talan64

talan64 Meat Mopper

Try Krogers or Fred Meyers if you have one close by.  I Got a couple of "abnormally large" Corn Beef cuts last year in the fall (Oct / Nov time).  I was surprised at how big, they were.  They were also labelled as extra lean, which they were.  Made some great Dude-strami!

7. superdave

Thanks, I do have a Cash & Carry a few miles from the house.  I was also wondering if places like Winco, Food For Less and some of those type stores would have some.

8. mneeley490

mneeley490 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Costco sometimes gets CB packers in just before St. Patrick's Day. Otherwise, yeah, Cash & Carry.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If you have a C&C get on their email list for the hot sheet specials. I buy about 99% of my meat there cut and repack for the freezer. I like paying $3-$4 a pound for steak rather than $8-$12!

10. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sometimes?

Even where you least expect it, the meat guy at your supermarket can place an order for you?

Expect to pay the price, though!

Good luck and good smoking.

11. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Cash and Carry near my place (Tigard, Oregon) has entire packers that have already been corned! [​IMG]   I want to say they are about $3.40 per. lb.

12. Yep cash & carry has some large corned beef packs. I just was at the one in Gresham saw em while grabbing a big a$$ top round for jerky.

13. talan64

talan64 Meat Mopper

I was VERY unhappy with the CB's I got from Costco last year.  The Kroger one's were far far better.  But I'm sure they vary from year to year and region to region.

14. raastros2

raastros2 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

getting a costco in baton rouge this fall...cant wait