Where to buy Morton's Tender Quick and size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, little off topic here on the make your own or not subject .....but on the cures. I'm having difficulty finding the TQ here but I did find the Morton Sugar Cure available. Checked the Morton website & they state it can be used interchangably with the TQ mix. Anybody try this instead of the TQ? any difference in flavor? I did read the bag in the store and it was all about curing hams but I'm just wanting it to do jerky. My second batch of jerky is in the near future and I rely heavily on the info off this forum. Thinking of trying chicken tender jerky also...any feedback on that? Thanks in advance guys....SMF rocks
Just be sure to do what Morton's says.

I haven't used either of the sugar cures, so I didn't really study them, but I think it said TQ & the "Plain" sugar cure were interchangeable, but not TQ & the "smoked" sugar cure, but don't go by what I'm saying, because I'm just going on memory of reading it in passing.

If Morton's says you can use it, go for it, but follow their directions.

You can go to their site. There you can look at a few recipes, and you could buy TQ there, but the shipping cost hurts.

They also sell their "Home Curing & Smoking Guide"---only $4.99.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear, you're correct...said the plain one was interchangeable. I'll have to try it out till I find TQ somewhere. Thanks for all your posts, very informative. You combine the cure in with the marinade? Last time I did a 2 step process...overnight with the cure and then again overnight in the marinade and then in the dehydrator the third day.

Thanks Bear, you're correct...said the plain one was interchangeable. I'll have to try it out till I find TQ somewhere. Thanks for all your posts, very informative. You combine the cure in with the marinade? Last time I did a 2 step process...overnight with the cure and then again overnight in the marinade and then in the dehydrator the third day.
I would find a good recipe with TQ or that Plain sugar cure, but I'm sure it would be everything mixed at one time, and no longer than over night curing & marinating.

Bear

Some suggestions for those of you who cannot find TQ.

Try looking in places other than grocery stores.  Butcher supply shops and sporting goods stores are great places to search.  If you live in an area where hunting and fishing are popular, most sporting goods stores will carry some kind of commercially available jerky cure.  Butcher supply shops will often carry TQ or some other cure mix.  They are also great sources of local info and advice.  The local Wal-Mart up here carries jerky mixes in their sporting goods dept, but not in the grocery dept.  Go figure.

Hi-Mountain, LEM, Nesco, Cablea's and other such brands are out there.  Just follow the directions on the package and you will make some jerky.  I have used the commercial cures out there and most are decent to use.  I often add a little more pepper or some garlic to the mix if I want more zing.  Just do not add any additional cure or salt to the commercial mixes.  You will end up with jerky colored salt licks if you do.

If you have a publix up there they will order it for you.

Craig

I found some Tender Quick at a Meijer's in Defiance, Ohio last week. 4.49 a bag. It was dumb luck really. I had to go there on business and I was sick with a bad cold. Went there to get NyQuil cause it was across the street from my hotel. I thought I'd check the salt isle for the hell of it. And there it was. Took it home on the plane with me.

BTW. Great posts. Very informative.

Getting ready to try my first BBB, and Pork Belly Bacon.  Looks like I'll have to order one of the Morton's "curing" packages on-line, as I can't seem to be able to find it in any of the local stores.

My question is: Which one should I order:

1. Morton's Tender Quick Mix

2. Morton's Sugar Cure

3. Morton's Sugar Cure Smoke Flavored

Windwizard

Getting ready to try my first BBB, and Pork Belly Bacon.  Looks like I'll have to order one of the Morton's "curing" packages on-line, as I can't seem to be able to find it in any of the local stores.

My question is: Which one should I order:

1. Morton's Tender Quick Mix

2. Morton's Sugar Cure

3. Morton's Sugar Cure Smoke Flavored

Windwizard

All I ever use is #1---- "MTQ"

A few guys have been using #2 ----Morton's Sugar Cure, as it is interchangeable with MTQ.

Smoke flavored----#3---- is not interchangeable with TQ, and personally I would not recommend it for that reason.

My Opinion,

Bear

It is not worth the time and gas, I just buy it on Ebay. Then again I buy alot of stuff on Ebay, saves time and money - plus I like getting stuff in the mail.

I found the best prices including shipping on Ebay.  Plus the shipping was extremely quick and no tax.

6.99 seems a little steep. I've never paid more than 4.99.

I think it was $5.99 the last time I bought it from them so they must have had a price increase, everything seems to be on the rise these days..Gees!

Like i said, they are are close by (same state) and they shipped my orders the same or next day I order so an extra buck or two isn't going to break me for the great service I have had with them. I have bought from LEM in the past but it takes them 3-5 days just to ship my order out which has ruined my weekend plans for meat processing. I haven't been able to find it locally so thank goodness for the internet, where would be without it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky