Where to buy 20" stainless eliptical head

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustinHildebrand

Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
I'm gearing up to build a 20" diameter stainless smoker. One thing I need to find is a 20" diameter stainless steel eliptical head. (Think the top of a propane tank) does anyone have a lead as to where to find one? Preferably in the north west.
1654908238451.png

I'm gearing up to build a 20" diameter stainless smoker. One thing I need to find is a 20" diameter stainless steel eliptical head. (Think the top of a propane tank) does anyone have a lead as to where to find one? Preferably in the north west.View attachment 634319
If you do find one I think the price might be shinier than the stainless. Why not just put a flat plate?

If you were in the South East close to Louisiana, I might be able to help you. Lots of Oil&Gas, Industry and piping work here. But as mentioned, gonna be a steep price-especially recently since everything has gone up parabolic is seems

FWIW, it's called a pipe cap, not an 'elliptical head'.

Here's one carbon steel..
https://www.pipefittingsdirect.com/20-inch-carbon-steel-weld-on-caps
Ellipsoidal head
This is also called an elliptical head. The shape of this head is more economical, because the height of the head is just a fraction of the diameter. Its radius varies between the major and minor axis; usually the ratio is 2:1.

When your capping a pipe it's pipe cap and it has different dimensions. When your building a pressure vessel it has other names and pipe cap isn't one of them.

How much are you willing to spend? I have some contacts I can ask. What wall thickness? What grade stainless?
Spec would be
0.188" thickness. +0.1"/-0.04".
OD 20"
304 stainless
Would want to see specs before ordering. And I've seen them available in the $250 range which would be nice to stick to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky