Where do you buy your meats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Costco Business Center, Grocery Outlet and Berkeley Bowl which is a local grocery store that has quality like Whole Foods and prices like Safeway or Kroger.

...Parting a chicken takes no time at all, as like a couple of minutes...A whole fryer usually costs around a buck a pound...
Where I hail, it's a rarity for the whole bird to be less per pound than the parts. Thighs and drumsticks are frequently at the 1$/# price point. The packaged parts pack well (which might explain my urban pricing experience) and a month or two in the freezer doesn't seem to affect final cook so I stock up. Occasionally see half breasts at that price. As long as it has bone in it (not processed) I'm all for it. Wings excite me least, but they seldom go on sale. (Wings seem to be a "thing" now.)
But I'd love seeing some deals on the whole bird...my rotisserie needs a work-out.

Reactions: SmokyMose
Where I hail, it's a rarity for the whole bird to be less per pound than the parts. Thighs and drumsticks are frequently at the 1$/# price point.
Went on a quick grocery run today (Winco). Picked up a 2-pak of whole birds for 98 cents/lb. Cheap protein!

Checked other prices. Bone-in/skin-on thighs were $1.28/lb. Boneless/skinless breasts $1.99/lb. Boneless/skinless thighs $2.99/lb. It takes no time at all to skin and bone a thigh. That's some markup.

Reactions: olaf
....2-pak of whole birds for 98 cents/lb...Bone-in/skin-on thighs were $1.28/lb. Boneless/skinless breasts $1.99/lb. Boneless/skinless thighs $2.99/lb...
Unscientific data recording (using aging memory) from local Walmart last night...

Bone-in/skin-on thighs were $1.25/lb. Boneless/skinless breasts $4.99/lb. Boneless/skinless thighs $3.99/lb...and they didn't even have whole chickens. (But the last time I saw them anywhere close to $1/# was in a 2-pack.)

Ray, your prices seem to reflect true capital and labor costs. I think what's happening in my urban market is the thigh price functions as a loss-leader...gets you in the door and if you're struggling (or a cheapskate) you grab that good price. But well2do shoppers after a day at work are easily swayed to the "upscale" product, involving minimal work for them, and that's where the stores pad their profit margins.

Either from a local food service store or Costco or local specialty butchers.

I think what's happening in my urban market is the thigh price functions as a loss-leader...gets you in the door and if you're struggling (or a cheapskate) you grab that good price. But well2do shoppers after a day at work are easily swayed to the "upscale" product, involving minimal work for them, and that's where the stores pad their profit margins.
I agree 100% with you, Bill. I've always been a price conscious shopper, but when I worked I grabbed whatever I needed for a dish. Now that I'm retired, I don't mind putting a few more minutes of work in the prep.

For those who like to save money, think about how quickly production workers have to bone a thigh or part a chicken...literally seconds. I'm not that fast, but it really takes no longer than prepping veggies.

I agree 100% with you... I'm not that fast, but it really takes no longer than prepping veggies.
And it's fun, or at the very least rewarding. I'm still working, but I'm slowing down, and the Covid season did "wonders" in terms of bringing me into the kitchen to enjoy the simpler pleasures of cooking for oneself. In fact, the last little squabble with the wife was over who was going to cook!
We've been back to some restaurants....good for the economy and all that....but each time I've rather missed making the food myself.

Reactions: noboundaries
... Now that I'm retired, I don't mind putting a few more minutes of work in the prep....
Same here and I don't mind putting the extra time in to save a couple of dollars.

As for the OP's question, I source pork and some chicken from a very small local farm, but supply can be limited and I need to let them know well in advance what I need. If I need to supplement either, I'll buy from chain grocers and I'm primarily talking about whole cuts such as butts, loins, whole chickens, and ribs.

For beef, I'm good friends with the manager of a local butcher shop and he'll get me whatever I need at his cost and he can get me things that I can't get anywhere else such as whole beef ribs and pork belly. There again, I'll supplement with the chain grocers if necessary.

If possible, I avoid buying meat from places such as Sam's, Walmart, Costco, even though they are a consistent source for decent brisket, because they seem to be trying very hard to put all of the small guys, the mom & pop stores, out of business. I understand that trying to save a dollar and shopping at small local shops doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand, but I try to do my small part to help them out when I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky