Where do you buy your fresh fish and what type is best?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
https://www.freshseafood.com/ is the online storefront for a Seattle fish market. It has been a couple years but I was always been very happy with the quality, and ate some raw. I had a huge deep freeze at the time so buying $250 for the free shipping wasn't too much to work around, and ate a piece daily.

Snapper is far and away my favorite, but I tried most if not all of the fresh fish listed besides catfish (just because it is dirt cheap here), or swordfish as I am not a huge fan of its density.

3rd generation west coast commercial fisherman here, (until I changed direction) and Costco has the best Rock fish fillets I've tasted, other than right off the boat. No skin left on and I haven't found a bone yet.

I'm always hesitant to buy fish either fresh from a retailer or from a restaurant, many times you just never know what you're getting. Fish is one of the most intentionally mislabeled food items there is and that's partially because of the public's demand for it and the money that can be made as well as the fact that most people can't identify one variety from another. Here's just one article https://oceana.org/sites/default/files/National_Seafood_Fraud_Testing_Results_Highlights_FINAL.pdf
A search for "seafood fraud" will yield many more articles.

If I were to buy fish, I'd buy local and I'd look for whole fish or fish with at least the skin left on to help positively identify the type. If that isn't an option, then I'd shop for frozen at the big retailers such as Walmart, Kroger, etc. I would like to think that they have enough quality control in their supply chains to prevent most of the fraud, MAYBE.

I'm lucky enough to be able to go fishing as much as I care to so I know where mine comes from.

I live on the Gulf Coast and I'm an avid fisherman, so most of the time I simply go fishing for my fresh fish.
But if I'm looking for something that I can't catch, I go to any of the several outstanding fish markets in the general area and buy whatever I desire.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_102847212_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20210427_102847212_BURST001.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I live on the Gulf Coast and I'm an avid fisherman, so most of the time I simply go fishing for my fresh fish.
But if I'm looking for something that I can't catch, I go to any of the several outstanding fish markets in the general area and buy whatever I desire.
what are those fish? the one in your right hand looks like a giant Porgy and the other a mackerel?

Wife and I do a lot of ocean fishing, resulting in having 2 upright freezers full of Chinook King Salmon, Albacore, Halibut, Rock and Ling Cod, etc. Lots of fresh fish meals the day after we come home. Oh and yes, I smoke a great deal concentrating on the Salmon, Ling Cod and Albacore. We probably haven't bought any fish for the past 10+ years.

Reactions: forktender and PPG1
If you never tried Trigger Fish your missing out. They are the sweetest tasting fish I have ever had.
Triggers sure are good....but I think triple tail is better. And with the 1 fish restriction and short season on triggerfish now in place, hard to keep up with when we can keep them....

No help on where to buy fish...We catch our own. I haven't bought fish since I don't know when.....

Reactions: PPG1
"fresh fish" can be up to 10 days old before it hits the marketplaces.
You're much better off buying flash frozen fish, which is put up with in minutes of being caught.
I'll tell ya...being a super taster sucks when it comes to fish. Having the opportunity to eat Yellow fin tuna belly sashimi that was swimming 2 hours ago has ruined me. Guide buddy use to keep us supplied regularly anytime we were at the camp. knock on the door...."Hey, y'all want some tuna? clients flew home and left all the meat."
As a result, I can no longer enjoy sushi at restaurants....I've given up. Only way I'll eat it now is super fresh straight out of the ice off the boat. I could eat it until I make myself sick....

Triggers sure are good....but I think triple tail is better. And with the 1 fish restriction and short season on triggerfish now in place, hard to keep up with when we can keep them....

No help on where to buy fish...We catch our own. I haven't bought fish since I don't know when.....
South Carolina has open season on both Trigger fish and Tripletail with a daily limit of 10. It's been awhile since I did Tripletail but now I'm wanting to go after some forgot about them.

Reactions: forktender
I'll tell ya...being a super taster sucks when it comes to fish. Having the opportunity to eat Yellow fin tuna belly sashimi that was swimming 2 hours ago has ruined me. Guide buddy use to keep us supplied regularly anytime we were at the camp. knock on the door...."Hey, y'all want some tuna? clients flew home and left all the meat."
As a result, I can no longer enjoy sushi at restaurants....I've given up. Only way I'll eat it now is super fresh straight out of the ice off the boat. I could eat it until I make myself sick....
I 100% wholeheartedly agree, nothing ranks with seafood straight outta'da water that day.

If youre close to Port Canaveral try Seafood Atlantic.
If you from that area my brother has a great fish monger in Melboune, Direct Seafood Outlet. They don't process fish until you place your order and it fresh. Really cheap and great oysters by the bag. Another good thing is you can buy fish pieces that are left from processing them for $6 lb. Great people that run it. My favorite thing about going for a visit.

If you live anywhere near the ocean, you might be able to consider going to your local marina and buy fresh fish off the boats from local commercial fishing people.

As far as what type is best, really depends on what you can get locally & fresh.

Location, Location, Location.

Last edited:
Sheepshead are one of my favorite saltwater fish to eat, notorious bait stealers and they're just hard to catch. My dad would tell me, "Son, you have to set the hook just before they bite. If you feel the bite, they're gone with your bait."

• Haha
Reactions: indaswamp and PPG1
Sheepshead are one of my favorite saltwater fish to eat, notorious bait stealers and they're just hard to catch. My dad would tell me, "Son, you have to set the hook just before they bite. If you feel the bite, they're gone with your bait."
Sheepshead spawn in February here. You can go out to the shallow water rigs and fill the boat up...all you need is a 1/4oz. jighead and bait shrimp. Last trip we made, caught over 400 and filled 4 ice chests. Made a big donation to the Saltwater Mafia to feed the needy...

with a jighead, you flip it next to the rig leg and just watch it fall....when it stops falling before it hits bottom, set the hook, fish has got it. If the fish feels tension, he will spit out the hook and you miss him.

South Carolina has open season on both Trigger fish and Tripletail with a daily limit of 10. It's been awhile since I did Tripletail but now I'm wanting to go after some forgot about them.
No doubt about it, but the O.P. said he couldn't find fresh fish at the market. So the next best thing is flash frozen fish because it is frozen minutes after it is caught, not many hours or days until it hits the market as "fresh" fish. I've refuse to buy fish because I'm spoiled, because of living minutes away from the Pacific Ocean
and growing up on families Salmon, ground fish and Albacore, Yellowfin tuna, and my favorite fish in the ocean Yellowtail commercial fishing boats.

No doubt about it, but the O.P. said he couldn't find fresh fish at the market. So the next best thing is flash frozen fish because it is frozen minutes after it is caught, not many hours or days until it hits the market as "fresh" fish. I've refuse to buy fish because I'm spoiled, because of living minutes away from the Pacific Ocean
and growing up on families Salmon, ground fish and Albacore, Yellowfin tuna, and my favorite fish in the ocean Yellowtail commercial fishing boats.
I have a brother-in-law who lives in Northern Cal. He sends me Pics of huge lake trout and steelheads he catches out there

I have a brother-in-law who lives in Northern Cal. He sends me Pics of huge lake trout and steelheads he catches out there
Where abouts? I'm down in the flatlands, East Bay Area on the banks of the Cal Delta which is the convergence of 5 rivers and 1000 of streams that all dump into the San Francisco bay then out Golden Gate into the Pacific ocean.
1623917695029.png

1623916793242.png

I was born and raised and still live right at the bottom of Mt Diablo but have the Delta 5 minutes from my front door. I spend most of my time hunting and fishing the thousands of miles of the Cal. Delta and SF Bay and Pacific Ocean.

I'll be Halibut and Striped bass fishing in the SF bay in a few hours. As F'd up as Cali is it's going to pain me deeply to leave this State some day. These days, it's politically unbearable for a lifelong Republican Patriot outdoors man to live here. (which angers me too my wits end).

Dan

PS. Hooking into a nice chrome Steelhead is about the funnest thing you can do with your cloths on, those things are a blast to catch and pretty decent eating as well.👍👍👍

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky