When smoking a Turkey or parts, which is your favorite wood(s)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
While experimenting with high heat smoking with the AMNS, I chose a combo of 50/50 maple and apple for the smoke. This turned out to be the best tasting turkey meat I've had. What's your best choice of wood or woods?

I've used a mix of Hickory and Apple. Liked it. However, the brine that I used seemed to have the greatest effect on the outcome. It's one I found last Thanksgiving when the turkeys went on sale for 39 cents per lb. Stocked up on a few. Forgot the brand name of the brine mix. Hope they have it again this year.

icon_cool.gif

I like apple and cherry they are simalr woods but they are both a smooth and fruity flavor.

Hey Rich!

I've got over a ton of sawdust on hand, and seem to grab Apple most often.  Peach is also a great smoking wood.  I like Hickory for pulled pork, but sometimes has a "Bite" to it when compared to fruit woods.

Glad the turkey turned out!!

Todd

While experimenting with high heat smoking with the AMNS, I chose a combo of 50/50 maple and apple for the smoke. This turned out to be the best tasting turkey meat I've had. What's your best choice of wood or woods?
I'm with you...Apple and Maple,

I think added cherry is too strong, I use 100% wood, no electric or gas

I use apple most of the time. Once in awhile I'll mix cherry or pecan with the apple but usually its straight apple. I did do some chicken with orange wood not long ago and I'll be trying it with a turkey.

Up until today I have used hickory for everything, however, I bought some cherry and mixed in just a very small amount of hickory for some chicken breast and I'm sold.  I will be smoking the T day with cherry this year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky