When my smoker arrives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GilSmoker

Original poster
Mar 2, 2021
So I’ll be getting my new smoker in a few days (Fornetto Basso) and I’d like to set up an easy first challenge. I was thinking maybe a spatchcock chicken and a salmon steak with some side vegetables. Any suggestions? I don’t want to run the rig for more than a few hours at first. Thanks.

That's a bullet style smoker right? I understand your logic for a somewhat simple cook, but it's very important to learn fire management with any new cooker. So it will likely take you an hour or so to play with the vents and get a cooking fire stabilized and let your flavor wood chunks get settled down for good smoke. This will be repeated each time you use the cooker, so spend some time before you get food on.

Salmon is not a long cook at all, and if you buy a skin-on fillet you won't have to worry about turning it. Watch for the (white) albumen to form in pockets because that's a good signal the fish is almost done. Then just temp it and you are good.

The chicken can take up to 90 minutes depending on the pit temp. If you let the skin dry for 12 to 24 hours in the fridge before smoking it, you will have a better shot at crispy or bite-thru skin.

That's a bullet style smoker right? I understand your logic for a somewhat simple cook, but it's very important to learn fire management with any new cooker. So it will likely take you an hour or so to play with the vents and get a cooking fire stabilized and let your flavor wood chunks get settled down for good smoke. This will be repeated each time you use the cooker, so spend some time before you get food on.

Salmon is not a long cook at all, and if you buy a skin-on fillet you won't have to worry about turning it. Watch for the (white) albumen to form in pockets because that's a good signal the fish is almost done. Then just temp it and you are good.

The chicken can take up to 90 minutes depending on the pit temp. If you let the skin dry for 12 to 24 hours in the fridge before smoking it, you will have a better shot at crispy or bite-thru skin.
Wow! Thank you for the great tips!👍🏼👏🏼

Reactions: bdawg
Don't forget you'll need to season it first. Burn it as hot as you can get it for at least 30 mins, but an hour preferably. That "cooks" all the paint and stuff inside, and lets it offgas without any food in it. That's important, cause you really don't want to eat anything you cooked in an unseasoned smoker (or grill).

I agree with the others that a bird and a fish is a good way to start.

Good luck and show off the results!

Reactions: Fueling Around
Pics of the smoker?
1615086043928.jpeg

Reactions: normanaj
Welcome from Iowa! And congrats on the new smoker! Waiting for first food pics!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky